Binding adjustments

nam1975

• Baller

What does moving bindings foward or back accomplish, generally?

Looking for some 2-4 help, which is my offside. Typically this has not been a trouble spot for me. Breaking foward at the waist, and/or little angle out of the turn.

I usually get in trouble at 1-3-5, straighten legs, crank turns, get impatient.

D3 x7 stock settings with Radar Strada boots.

Do have fin at 6.925 vs a 6.940, which is listed on d3 website. Not sure that is enough to be an issue.

Rode an x5 for a few years, thought this would be an easy transition?

Thanks all.

• Baller
Paul Crawford was a big help with setup when I was sking on a X7, also @bishop8950‌. I ended up little further back than what Paul suggested. Where did you measure from on the boots. Radar measures from lower stitch line on boot. D3 measures from back of the boot, so it may need to be move forward some.

• Baller

@nam1975‌

To answer your question in very general terms, the ski is a little like a teeter-totter. If you put too much weight on the back, the tail will sink into the water and the tip will ride high out of the water. If you put too much weight on the front, it will either turn so hard that it crushes your form, or if you are strong enough, you will wash the tip out all together.

In between these two extremes is a balance where the more weight you transfer to the front of the ski, the better it turns. If your bindings are a little too far back, the tip will ride high, the tail will smear excessively, and it will be harder than necessary to engage enough tip to turn well. If your bindings are a little too far forward, the tip will ride nice and low and you will have easy access to the tip for turning, but sometimes tip-engagement will be too easy and it will bite.

From what you are describing, your bindings may be a little too far forward--sometimes it bites, then you get defensive and you get lousy angle. If you have your bindings mounted in the stock position, try moving them back around 1/4" to see if this helps. Leave your fin where it is at first. If the binding move stops most or all of the tip-bite and breaking at the waist on your off-side put your FL back to stock (6.940"). If the tip starts biting or you start breaking at the waist on your off-side again, put the fin back to where you have it now. This should settle things down.

BTW, ask if you are unsure about how to measure your binding location properly. The middle hole in your binding plate is usually NOT the stock position.