Slick New Equipment @ Nationals

scuppers

• Baller
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Raptor Water Ski Company that Willi Ellermeier has started. Terry Winter is helping him with development and Marketing. I had a chance to take a short set ( 6 passes) on it on lake 4 Friday . With only a few passes I can't really describe the ski except to say it TURNS!!!. I mounted the fin and binding the same as on my Quest and as soon as the tip started to engage it turned... fast. The easier I skied the better it felt. I'm pretty sure it will need a lot more fin than I had on it. I am really looking forward testing it at home when I have some time to try some different settings. Also Terry has been using the Raptor "Side Force Enhancer" devise all spring and summer and his average score has gone up two or three balls. I have one of those to try also. They had a ski set up with the OB4 binding system on it that looked really cool!!! It will be fun to see how this all develops.

• Baller

Andy told me he was skiing on the Torque, not sure if it was the T1 or T2. If the BD final is any indication, I'd say it was performing very well.

Very intriguing design with no core in the center under the binding location, only the bottom skin spans that space. He said the ski is actually stronger because the strength of a ski is in the sidewalls, and this design essentially adds 2 more sidewalls under the feet, creating a box beam of sorts. He went on to say that the benefit of the torsionally softer Torque allows energy from the load to move in a forward direction, as opposed to a torsionally stiffer ski where the load tends to pull the ski off it's edge.

• Baller

Question that maybe doesn't quite belong in this thread:

What bindings are usable on the T1 and T2 without hosing up it's flex? Or is almost binding system flexible enough in torsion to not counteract the benefits.

I own OB4s but have never seen a Mapple Torque, but the two do SEEM like the biggest innovations of 2014. Can they work together??

• Baller
@Than_Bogan‌ my understanding of the ski is that the flex is actually in front of the bindings and behind them for the most part. So any plate style system like reflex strada...... would work. I am actually not sure how a plunger style system like one Fluid Motion or exo would work. With the plunger out in front or behind it might be a funny release. Says 10 degrees of angle. So short answer I don't know but great observation.

• Baller
@scuppers Yes and yes. However, OB4s are kind of a bleeding edge product and require some effort to get set up properly. I keep hoping I'm going to write up a "manual" with all the little things I've learned, but until then I encourage anybody who is new to them to PM me.