Camaro Blacktec or O'neill Epic

rq0013

• Baller
As the water cools off here in WI I need to start shopping for a new wetsuit. My fiance has an O'neill epic 3/2 now, but needs a smaller size. How warm are these 2mm camaros compared to an O'neill 3/2 wetuit. This would be for temperatures between 60-45. I would love to try a camaro but being thin and not knowing much about them, I dont know if I want to take the chance.

• Baller
I wear my Camaro most mornings here in MN. I do wear a thin Obrien rashguard over it -- not for warmth, but to protect the outer skin of the suit. Given my particular dimensions (big arms and chest), the exterior of the Camaro tends to wear off under and around where my arms would rub against my vest. Still the warmest long-sleeved shorty I've ever worn by far!

• Baller

@Lieutenant_Dan I have the 2mm Blacktech. It fits like a second skin, and there is minimal water infiltration, unlike a standard wetsuit. Minimal zipper leakage when you first get in, but that is about it. I spent over an hour installing sub buoys this spring in 50 degree water, and while I was chilled when I finished, it wasn't bad for being in the water an hour.

If you are on the border of sizes, go smaller. It is super stretchy, and when you put it on the first time, you will think it is way too small, but it will stretch to fit. It is really comfortable and does not feel binding or limit mobility. We bought a total of 6 for skiers at our lake. 3 from Performance and 3 from Robby's to spread it around to the BoS sponsors.

• Baller
I have an Epic II 3/2 suit. fits great and keeps you warm in cold water to 50ish degrees, also reasonably priced. For how often it gets used (a few weeks a year between dry suit and spring suit) it works well. In really cold water, you want water penetration, that's what keeps you warm. Haven't run a camaro since my dad's 68 Rs SS... The new ones look great though :)

• Baller_
Camaro. Have a long sleeve shorty that if water is in the 50s I'll put a 1mil neo vest underneath. Never really feel water entry via zipper. Warmest, most comfortable wetsuit I have ever owned including full length suites. Can only imagine how warm a full Camaro would be.

• Baller
Camaro is great. I have the shorty and full suit. I would recommend using it with a strap free vest, ie: zipper only. Vest straps seem to wear out the arms faster. The Camaro vest is a good match. I do not work for Camaro.

• Baller
As a fellow Wisconsinite, I will chime in. Love my Camaro! I have the 1mm Camaro Blacktec Shorty (has long sleeves) and wore it into October last year. It is very warm and flexible. Love it so much I got a 1mm top for those cool summer days we get. @waterskigirl (robbysskishop.com) has been fantastic with questions and getting them sent quickly. The only thing you have to be careful about is to not put a fingernail through it.

• Supporting Member

Would you guys feel confident going after your hardest pass in a tournament wearing one of these (if so, which one?).

My long-time Wuss Factor is starting to be more like a medical condition where I just cannot stay warm in the water. And this is costing me buoys!! I need a much warmer option than my ancient Chillskin (over rashguard).

• Baller

@Than_Bogan‌ I think you need one of thesehttp://robbysskishop.com/camaroblacktecwetsuit.aspx. It won't necessarily help for two set days (unless you buy 2) but I bet it would keep you warm for 8-10 passes.

I don't have a Camaro but I have been thinking about a full suit in place of my dry suit.

It's going to have to get pretty cold here before I switch from my 1 mm blacktec top to the 2 mil full suit. Wearing blacktec is like wearing a solar panel- when the sun is out the heat from the 1 mil top is unbelievable. I wore it in michigan over Labor Day with air and water in the 60s, sunny day and I was roasting in just the top. The 1 mil definitely does not impede my hack job.

• Supporting Member
After an exchange with @waterskigirl, I am next going to try the full Modetec. She convinced me this suit offers almost no reduction in mobility, but provides good warmth by covering the entire body. Also dries really fast and so can be kept on between sets. Could be something I'd wear for almost every set except when it really got scorching hot. Seemed to make some sense, so I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm sure I'll report back!!

• Baller

Another "yeah but what about us bigger guys" post...

Eyeing up a Blacktec 2.0. How stretchy are these things really? I have a 48.5" (123cm) chest. According to the size chart on perfski, even the XXXXL isn't big enough (116cm). For my height, XXXL is right, but it's for bean poles (112cm).

Will I suffocate if I go XXXL or is there sufficient stretch in these things?

• Baller

There is an amazing amount of stretch in the BlackTec 2.0 and they are very light. You won't suffocate @UWSkier. The size chart is not a good guide. Everyone I know sizes down. My friend who is 6'4" was 225 pounds when he got his XXL and is now 195. Still fits. His chest is probably still 46+. I'm 6'3" with a 42 chest and I'm in a Large. I skied in 49 degree water a few days ago in it.

Connect with @waterskigirl at Robby's Ski Shop. The link is above on the top bar under ADVERTISERS. Fast shipping, easy exchanges and returns to help you get the right size. I