Thank you @OB Wan Kenobi, you were my only hope!

ScarletArrow

• Baller

I met @OB last year at one of the Bootsarosa tournaments. (Link) He's a good dude.

So when he made a request for donations to have his Atlanta Pro-Am webcast and sweetened the deal with the promise of a PB in 2014, well I couldn't resist. (Link) I mean, I've been chasing my tournament PB for 5 years!

So this weekend is our State Championships in Ohio. We technically have a separate tournament on Friday that's a Buckeye Buoy Tour with 2 rounds of slalom, plus a 3rd if you make the finals. Saturday is 1 round of slalom (had over 70 skiers!) followed by junior trick and jump. Sunday is adult trick and jump.

So my daughter started the season with a PB of 1@21mph LL. In July she hit a hot streak and gained 4 four passes. On Friday she got a new PB of 2@28mph, than back it up Saturday (with very little sleep and 2nd off the dock) 4@26mph!

She qualified for Regionals in a LCQ, so we're headed to Chicago!

My wife is the definition of optimism and perseverance. She can shadow buoys better than anyone, but that extra 1-2 feet needed to get around the buoy has been a barrier. "A piece of 2 ball" has been our goal all year. Novice rules in Ohio allow her to take 2 passes through the mini-course and get a mulligan on her opening pass through the main course for a guaranteed 4 passes.

On her first pass through the main course - she missed the gates, but pulled like a MF'er with shoulders back and arms straight all the way to 2 ball - she hit the buoy... let out a yelp the whole lake heard... let go of the handle... while still in the pulling position and took a nice spill. That's my girl. That's a PB (screw the gates!)

So I've been chasing a goal of running 22off in a tournament for several years. I've come close many times. I think I've put up almost every full and half buoy score possible. I get deep 22 in practice pretty much every set - though not always UTL ("up the line"). I got to thinking before this tournament, in a 3 round tournament, I've never run my 34/15off pass more than once. I'm normally not a nervous fellow before competition, but I do get that way before I ski tournaments and I think it's because I'm chasing the big score instead of the consistent score.

So I decided to change my goal to run 34/15off every round this weekend. I ran it 2out of 3 times and got scores at 3.5 and 2.5 at 22off, the latter coming in a major head/tail wind that I would have never been able to manage in the past. It's the best and most consistent - I've ever skied in a tournament. The 3 rounds technically came over 2 days in 2 separately scored tournaments, but I don't care - for pretty much everyone there it's just one big event.

1 weekend... 2 tournaments... 3 PB's...

Thanks @GK for coaching on Wednesday... that was a great set.

Thanks @OB for the good karma... I hope good fortune comes your way soon with skiing.

• Baller

I counted, it's been nearly 7 years since I've had the expectation, 5 years of writing it down...

I've spent more money than I should...

Practice 3 - 4 days a week...

Equipment changes... too many - some good, some bad...

A weeks worth of coaching every summer...

Injury... surgery... recovery...

Do you know how hard it is to watch your friends, who started about the same time and about the same level as you, shorten the line and progress each summer while you remain stagnant?

Frustration... depression... ready to give up...

Seriously - I was ready to stop skiing completely at one point - why work so hard for so long with seemingly no return?

I keep a 3-ring binder with my with all my goals. I write them out in such a way that I can read through multiple years by category on a single page in a "at-a-glance" style.

Do you know what my number 1 goal has been for the past 5 years? The first goal I read every time I open the binder? Run 22off in a tournament.

For 5 years I've been looking at that stupid thing.

It's not like I'm some turdball who can't get off the couch... I'm a good athlete - I've competed in marathons, triathlons, p90x, personal training, 4 different sports in HS, etc.

Why isn't this going down?

Other than starting my own business, I can't think of a goal I've worked so hard for.

I did hold onto hope from a post long ago (can't find it), and I think it was from @OB that he went from 15off to 38off after years of hard work.

Didn't give up... Kept working at it... worked smarter...

@Razorskier1‌ this one post, change my perspective it did (Link)

Changed my beliefs... changed my approach... made sure I was having fun...

Yesterday's tournament - 1.5@28off. @Skikolb - who was with me in the beginning - was driving.

• Baller

Thanks man... it was only right that you were the one to pull me through the breakthrough.

I I had a full 2 also, but what are you going to do? I take it as a positive... I was early to 3 and if I hadn't double-clutched on my handle grab I wouldn't have had to bail at the 2nd wake. Just makes it easier to increase my average at the next BBT!