2014 Prostar Water Test with the Version 3-Three Blade Prop RPM vs. Speed

racerdjs

• Baller
My passenger took some pictures of various speeds as well as WOT. I just received from Mastercraft 14x13.0 110 Cup 3 Ski Pro V-3. BTW, WOT with the OEM 4 Blade was 42.0 mph per GPS and I forgot to note the RPM'S.

• Baller_
@racerdjs: I am going to get the chance to drive a new PS, is there a good place to review instructions or a how to use guide for the display? Typical things like setting the speed, ZO settings, etc.

The best thing about the MC screen is that you don't need a guide on how to operate it. It works just like you would think it does, you just press on whatever you want to change and the options come up for what you can change it to. Couldn't be easier!

• Baller

41mph WOT. Wow.

I hope Mastercraft step up if you have trouble getting a fair price at resale time. At least by offering you extra discount on your next one. I bet you get the 6.2 next time!

Then again you are only pulling 4800rpm for 41mph. Are you at significant altitude? I would have expected a 5.7 to spin out to at least 5200rpm... Not like it is over propped! What RPM and speed does MC say your boat should achieve?

• Baller
No word on what is expected. The hole shot is much better and acceleration is noticeable better. Mastercraft is still working on my performance issue. I was surprised only -1mph on the top end. It seems like rpm's at WOT should be higher.

• Baller_
I wonder what can be done with the ECM to change the power curve a little. I'm really not that much of a gearhead, but I had thought engine performance characteristics could be (somewhat) reprogrammed. Maybe the torque curve could be moved a little and still retain the desired RPMs at 36 with the preferred prop.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

It would be nice to have Marcus Brown input on this.If regular skiers notice the lack of power-speed...

Maybe they did all the testing with the 6.2 liters?

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I've tested three different props and found no discernible wake difference, and I don't feel like the pull is different either. I ski at 34 and have run 28s through 38s. My son skis 36mph and skis 22s through 32s. We both feel like the boat skis great regardless of which prop we are running. RPMs are definitely higher with the Acme 3 blade we are using now. About 4000 at 36mph vs. about 37-3800 with the factory 4 blade, but the ZO still feels great!

• Baller

@razorskier1 drops a ton of hours on his boat...slowed only by the temporary no wake restriction due to high water. With very good 34 and 36 mph skiers he is getting good data on wake, drive-ability, acceleration, rpm and top speed. Sounds like the prop he is running may be the ticket for the 5.7 engine. If there is some ECM tweaking MC can do at some point may get really dialed. Too cool of a boat not to be totally dialed.

I get to spend a week at his place soon for a collegiate ski team (and now with families) party pulling all variety of skiers/speeds/lengths given I can't ski right now. Looking forward to it and will report back...I'm a pretty critical guy and won't sugar coat anything. Sure wish I could ski it...next year! Enjoyed free skiing behind it pre-op this spring and looking forward to seeing the prop transformation.