Skiing in Grand Rapids, MI

DaveD

PJ Hoffmaster State Park DNR office would not be the correct office to pursue any course permits, while they have been super helpful with brainstorming solutions for shared water space. Water permits (course permits) all have to go through the Plainwell branch as they are they are the designation office for the waterway contracts.

• Baller_

@2Skis20SecondsorLess, the reason to involve PJ Hoffmaster staff is not for the permit itself. It is because they manage the Bass River Recreation Area and would need to consider any request for that location, just as they manage the involvement of the equestrian clubs that ride on those trails there. They would need to approve of that usage before it even gets to the permit process. They would subsequently run the permit request through the District 7 Law Enforcement division of the DNR in Plainwell, as they did in the past. The Plainwell officers were also on our email exchanges and included in communications with the PJ Hoffmaster staff when this was last discussed in 2015.

I agree that other permit requests for ordinary public lakes would just need to go through the proper District Law Enforcement office and would not require the involvement of the PJ Hoffmaster staff.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@Mastercrafter how much does peat mining pay?

Don't need a casual Mill so long as you have a business plan that can barely break even. Wasn't that the issue with the lake in Florida its a "fish farm" shaped like a ski lake that had no business plan for fish farming.

Hey all, happy New Year! Just seeing this post, so jumping in. Right now Monday's are open at Forest Lake and we would consider an "open ski" format for anyone interested, or we could do a casual tournament series. To be whole as a site (everything costs something) we need to cover the cost of gas, boat, and driver. With the "laws" of averages and depreciation we need to bring in a minimum of $200 per hour to hit the break even point. We are absolutely open to all ideas on how to format a night for anyone to come and ski - we don't do memberships and want to make the sport accessible to everyone.

We are also piloting a "Maid to Ski" program for college kids wanting "free" water time this summer. @JPwaterski please check it out and share!

• Baller_

@Mastercrafter,

A quick search gets this info:

Current Tax Parcel : 20-003-063-18

Owner: BEACHSIDE FARMS LLC

Property Address: 66TH ST/135TH/HOLLAND ST

Acres: 29.39

And, the hearing to grant the permit to mine the sand, etc. for the lake:

• Baller_

@Mastercrafter,

The permit is to "expand an existing pond to an approximately 10.7 acre lake by excavating from upland approximately 180,606 cubic yards in an area approximately 1,653 feet long, 295 feet wide, and a maximum depth of 20 feet".

So, it will be short, but possible, especially as an 8-buoy course. And, who knows if they will exceed that "approximately 1,653 feet long". The owner's home is on 66th St.

It is not a project I have heard anything about, but great to see it happening.

• Baller_

@MI3Eventer and @JPwaterski, has there been any luck in finding a more permanent home for the Grand Valley Water Ski Team? Any luck on resurrecting Buddy's Pond with a course permit or getting a new site from the previous options in this thread?

If you are still looking, here is one in West Olive, courtesy of @DaveD. It is Emerald Lakes Sand Pit. Perhaps it could be an option to pursue, if you can get agreement from the mining operation to use it.

41vxs5wcgyqt.jpg

I’ve been chatting with Liz and Alan at Forest Lake. We don’t have anything set in stone, but I’d be up for “sharing” sets or figuring out a day/night to head down. I’ll only be jumping, but I’d bet we could make something work for slalom as well. PM me if you want to try to coordinate something. Thanks!!!

@MI3Eventer. It has been almost 20 years since it has been used, but I think I might still have most of the parts for an InstaSlalom in my cottage garage. It was used about a half a dozen times, DNR caught wind of it after the jet skiers found it, and I didn't take the time to try to get a permit for it. If you want, I can try to dig it up.

IIRC, everything (minus bouys) is there and working.