Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Is this a sufficient stacked position?

gsm_peter

• Baller

Speculations welcome!

Based on only this picture:

- Is this a reasonable stacked position?

Especial weight distribution (looking to identify the right feeling)

- How far (based on the angle and position) could this pull take me (X mph, Y off)?

Assume the rest of the skiing hold reasonable similar quality.

• Baller
In that moment, yes. However, IMHO since it's a snapshot it's hard to tell when/where you began to apply load to the rope... So what will your stacked position look like at the first and second wake, which, in my opinion, is where you want to evaluate your form. If you have loaded too early, you will lose this form by the time you hit the center of the wake.

• Baller

I would argue skiing to the wake is the easy part and lots of skiers do it well who may not have course success.

How far you go will be greatly determined by how well you maintain outbound off the wash to wide and high on the boat while riding the inside edge. Toughest part of the game IMHO.

• Baller

Hard to say too much in a still. Your position looks good, but is the tip on it's way down from a wheelie in the turn or perhaps that is the riding attitude of your ski ?

Video would tell much much more.

• Baller

@gsm_peter‌ A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is Terry Winter at the exact same point of his on-side cut. To be fair, pretty much everyone can find something to learn from Terry, but studying this may be helpful.

Most notably, note where his body alignment is relative to the rope at this point. He is stacked, but he is still ahead of his ski and accelerating his COM into the hardest work zone behind the boat. Starting the cut ahead of the ski is what engages the tip like this.

Your body position is good, but you are leaning back on the rope in a static position which takes lots of effort but generates less acceleration than Terry's dynamic move into the wake. Some of the rope angle difference between these two pictures is due to rope length, but ideally, your body and ski shouldn't be this far under the rope until right just before the prop wash.

Screenshot_2014-06-23-08-40-34.png

c2eb448e3094ee91308cf85a44d798.png

So you can see what I mean by "dynamic move into the wake," here is the video this screenshot was lifted from. Terry makes a calm, efficient, speed-preserving turn into the rope staying ahead of his ski the whole way into the hookup, then he fires his COM through the edge change, starting right from the hookup. At no point is he frozen in a static pulling position.

• Baller

Thanks guys.

This is exactly the type of feedback I hoped for.

I think than I pull hard but do not get sufficient pay of in speed or acceleration.

IF I got it right: A bit more straight back leg would move COM a bit more FW and solve most issues (at this stage of the pull)?

• Baller

I have one more suggestion. This weekend we were working with out kids in regard to "getting stacked". We were doing the old lean drill beside the boat. I went out and took a few passes to show them what we were going to do.

It seems like a basic drill, but if you really get into you can diagnose some stuff. The key is to get very tall and stacked to start with the handle low, the start to lean out VERY slowly and VERY easily.

If you get into a comfortable position with your head and shoulder square to the boat you can play around with your stack position and where you are on the ski. (DO NOT try to lean hard) I will disagree that straightening your back leg is going to help anything. In fact, I felt the best with my heal up a bit. I told my wife "I can see why Nate has a toe piece now". Try it out and see how you feel. YMMV

• Baller
Draw a line from the center of the bindings, through the knees, hips, and head in the pics of you and Terry. For Terry, all of those points line up. For you, they don't. Work on that. Being stacked is more than just having the hips up. It's about having the right line up of all the parts.

• Baller

Lots of valid points, but, comparing the photos with Terry Winter, and referring to the "ski shouldn't be this far under the rope", isn't a very valid comparison.

When the snapshots are taken from the spotter's seat, it's always going to show the ski on the1 ball side further relative to the rope than on the 2 ball side.

• Baller
I'm no pro by any stretch but I'm not sure I understand where "straighten the back leg" is coming from. Never seen anyone go into or through the wakes with a straight back leg. I'm still guilty of weighting my back leg a bit too much on most passes but I solve that by pushing my front knee over my toes and my back leg just does whatever is necessary to maintain balance.

• Baller
Most skiers who do not run 35 off and beyond ski with their hips further back than is ideal. For these skiers simply extending both legs moves their pelvis up and forward. This is not a yoga move. It is extremely simple bio-mechanics. I do not advocate locked knees. I promote the idea that straighter legs are a first step to a better stack.

The simple fact is that if your back knee is bent more than your front knee, your hips will be behind you and chances are your shoulders are forward to compensate.

Read on - http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/10295/straight-legs-a-clarification/

• Baller

Thanks again Folks!

My skiing is not so great. One can write a book about what I am doing wrong.

However, your comments helped me to better understand the geometry around my position and the ski direction.

I think I:

- should have a bit more weight on the front foot.

There are most likely many ways to achieve this but hips FW seems to be the thing to start with.

- load a bit to much direct after the boi and hence get pulled up a bit over the wakes.

Can see this on my films.

- should be a bit more open towards the pylon.

Will try the lean out on one side at a time exercise.

=0)

• Baller

I'd work mainly on getting stacked. Hips forward, straighter rear leg, ankles flexed, what ever works for you. Try flexing your front ankle and push your knee forward while straightening your rear leg. Do this while coasting in you pull out and see if you can keep this position while doing some cuts. A great stack will help fix some of the other problems.

Pull out drill is great also. Definitely practice it some. Experiment with your balance on the ski and notice your weighting where you get the most efficient outward movement

• Baller

one piece of advice that really helped me is that you have to let the ski finish the turn before you pull...(I hate the term "pull", it leads to the use of arms)...

okay, you need to finish the turn, and then progressively lean away from the boat.

If you watch Terry, he finishes the turn so completely, and in such a good position that his ski is pointed across the course and all he has to do is resist the boat's pull....and he gets across way EARLY!!!!!!