Malibu TXI VS LXI

MichaelGoodman

• Baller
Which generation? 03-06 LXi seems to stick/track better than the TXi, at least that is what it seems like to me. I have a buddy with an 06 and that is a terrific boat. IMO Malibu really hit it out of the park with that first LXi generation. I was never fond of anything about the 07-11 LXi FWIW.

I have a good friend with a 2013 TXi. It's a terrific boat. Well executed in every way, IMO. I own a 2006 LXI and it's equally terrific. What I notice most, other than ZO, is that the throttle is much more sensitive on the TXi than my LXI. I do think that my 2006 tracks slightly better than the 2013.

They're both great boats. By comparison from an ergonomics position, the TXi is no question better. From the perspective of the wake, the difference between the 2 is nominal and mostly noted in slow speeds, longer line length.

Given the above......I'll likely not be selling my LXI for a long time. It's a great boat.

• Baller

Surprised to hear people saying the 03-06 LXi's track better. I had an '04 RLXi and now a '12 TXi and while I loved the RLXi the TXi tracks very noticeably better. Mine did pull the Malibu Open a couple of years so perhaps what it comes down to is how well the boats in question are set up.

Mike

@ToddL I looked at that. It's not in the cards for me this season. It's a pricey upgrade to put ZO on the 2006 LXi.

@mlange I think you're right. Set up is key and something I'm still messing with a little on my new to me boat.

• Baller
Curious what the ergonomic differences are? My FIL has a 2005? LXI and aside from my video game system dash I'd say that a 2012 VTX has pretty much the same setup. Always assumed that the VTX/TXI of the same years would be similar cockpit.

• Baller

Perhaps the biggest complaints that I always heard were:

1. The windshield frame was right at eye level.

2. The seat was too low.

3. With the windshield coming back further than normal it was harder to talk with someone that was on the boom.

All three of those are greatly improved in the TXi.

Mike

• Baller
@mlange I can definitely see the 1st 2, although honestly the same is true on my VTX - really depends on how tall you are. I've got a guy who is building a 4" spacer for my drivers seat so that I can just look over the windshield and my wife can look through it (she is really short). With all the fancy stuff they put in these boats, a height adjustment on the seat would be a welcome change.

• Baller
I always have the seat bolster pad flipped up over the seat when I drive the '06 LXi. Puts the buoys right at the top of the windshield, but not in the frame for me. Without it, I feel like I can't see the nose of the boat and idling around fallen skiers and buoys becomes less safe in my opinion.

• Baller
@inland - yep. Around $3k. But less than a $50+k new boat. It is probably not going to be something that we get back in full upon the sale of our 06 LXi, but it will open up the market more to include active tournament skiers who want to train behind ZO.

• Baller
I'm 5-10", on my '03 RLXi I put close to a 3" spacer on the driver seat rails...and still use the flip up bolster 90% of the time. I love the boat, wake, tracking. Gripes would be limited to the driver ergonomics, windshield design, and bow can be chili dipped if not careful.

• Baller
@MichaelGoodman I don't know. I would assume that if the 05' and 06' have the same engine option, that the possibility would exist for the '05 as well. Our '06 has the Monsoon engine. Maybe @GregY can comment.

• Baller
If the engine has drive by wire throttle it should be convertible to ZO. I've heard 07 and later. 07 was first year of the new hull design for the LXI. The LXI Toddl and I ski with was an 08 that has the conversion.

@jhughes‌ is right. 2005 was still mechanical throttle and therefore not upgradeable to ZO. The closest you'll get is the Z-box upgrade to PP.

@ToddL I agree with your sentiment about the $3k upgrade vs. a $50k boat. Hopefully next season I can set mine up. There's no way the CFO will allow it this year. We've dumped enough cash on new toys this year, namely the '06 RLXi and her pontoon. I can just see the look on her face if I brought it up......not good.

I too am 5'-10" and I use the flip up bolster whenever I'm towing a skier.