Keeping your kids happy at tournaments

jipster43

• Baller

My seven-year-old daughter loves playing in the water and swimming, but none of the tournaments we go to have kids her age to play with. She's not terribly interested in skiing at this point, so I'm finding myself at a bit of a loss in terms of keeping her happy and entertained at tournaments. I'm especially hamstrung when I'm judging. Does anyone out there have games or activities that have helped them keep the whippersnappers smiling?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Baller
For my kids, it's all about the other kids at the tournaments, so if there are none your daughter's age, could you invite one of her friends to come with and play for the day? Guess it depends on what is available around your lake and the lakes you go to for activities. Kids at our tournaments find a wide array of things to do from swimming and general mud slinging, to skateboarding, skimboarding, trampolining, slacklining, and just hanging out. I know it's tougher with the little ones though. I'm not a fan of it, but I understand when parents put the younger ones in the car with a movie. I'd try the friend thing.

• Baller

You may have to bow out on the judging for a bit........ if you want to ski, you may have to just ski and then be dad the rest of the time. Unless you have mom there.......

BROHO in the Seattle area has hands down the BEST kids play space. @richarddoane‌ can comment more, but they have a sandbox, roped swim area, beach, trampoline, swin/slides, huge green space, which ALL MAKES IT EASY to have a great time with all the other families!

I would suggest getting hooked up with another family or two of skiers. If there aren't any there, you may have to recruit your own and bring them. Get pizza delivered, eat as a group, set up a volley ball net and play a group game, bring track balls and play, softball? Wuffle ball? Make it fun!

My son used to just love helping with things. Now I have a remote control boat and many of the activities mentioned above. I know if I can keep my 2 kids happy and let my wife have a moment or two to herself, I WILL SKI WAY BETTER AND HAVE WAY MORE FUN!

Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I DO NOT!

• Baller

Thanks @Than_Bogan‌ ! She does remarkably well at entertaining herself, but I was curious if folks had any games that they particularly enjoyed. I'm going to look into getting a slack-line, track ball, and that (cornhole?) game. A remote control vehicle would probably go over well too.

Thanks y'all!

• Baller

@GOODESkier‌ The only place with worse June weather than Bozeman is Western Washington (as it's pouring outside my window). I really wanted to go to the Moses Lake tournaments last weekend but couldn't.

Next weekend at Gordon's Pond will be my first tournament of the year. It's one of the nicest lakes on the planet with great folks, but if I want to bring Frankie, I'll have to bring plenty of toys. I highly recommend the tournament to all Ballers. It's one of the gateways to Yellowstone after all!

• Baller

Someone else may have to do the judging. You can't do it all. Meaning if you want to ski, and mom isn't there, you may have to just be a skier and a dad.

BROHO seems to have the absolute BEST kids stuff of anywhere. Sandbox with toys, swim area roped off, trampoline, swing set, huge grassy areas, so on and so forth! @richarddoane‌ could comment on the so forth part.

An alternative might be....... to find another family skiing the same tournaments and team up with them. Get your daughter engaged with another family. If the lake is close enough to a pizza place, get everyone lunch together with some take out. Bring a volleyball net? Track balls? Water guns? Light-sabres? What ever it takes.

Bottom line, if it isn't FUN your gonna loose em!