Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

SN 200 - 5.7L or 6L for 34 mph Slalom?

ChadW

• Baller

I have heard the 6 liter is easier on gas and a more durable engine.. Is that true? I would think the extra power would come in handy for barefooting.. Any idea on the top speed of a 200 with the 6 liter engine vs the 5.7?

• Baller_

@GAJ0004 If you are above 2500 feet the 450 is the ticket. All I can say is that the 6 liter in the 200 is a very efficient power plant for that hull. Over the last few years many promo owners have (especially in the southern region ) moved over to the LS package and have claimed they should have done it earlier. Currently any world records sustained behind a 200 were 6 liter boats. Check these scores out http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/view-scoresHQ.asp?tour_id=14C046R&sTourSportsGroup=AWS&action=tourscores.

http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/view-scoresHQ.asp?tour_id=14C047R&sTourSportsGroup=AWS&action=tourscores

A large percent of the ELR scores were pulled with a 6 liter 200 Nautique. Chets record Andy ran 41 three times. CP on track the list goes on!!!!

• Baller
I ski 34mph behind both 5.7 and 6.0 (-32 / 35) and the only give away from the skiers perspective is the tower on the 5.7 IMO. They are both great ski boats so to answer your question you won't regret buying a 5.7 unless your looking for bragging rights? Now while on this subject the person here with the most hours behind the wheel of both the 5.7 and 6.0 said to me last week he thinks the 5.7 is better out of the hole, possibly a setup difference so I will check the props next time they are out of the water.

• Baller
I do some barefooting, so I was thinking the extra power would come in handy for acceleration. If I do spend the money on a new boat I want to make sure it can keep up with the boats that come after it. My boat is 20 years old this year and it has 1700 hours on it. I was thinking the extra power would give the boat longevity to keep it from being considered obsolete. By today's standards my boat's 240 HP is obsolete. The configuration I pick would also take maintenance into consideration(including storage and winterizing).

• Baller

Went through the same decision when ordering my 2011 Team CC in 2010....Andy Mapple talked me into the 409 back then and he was RIGHT...My ski partner has the 5.7 in his 2012 CC and there is no comparison..The 409 has less vibration, better gas mileage, Tracks better, and has a Hell of a lot more acceleration.

PS: Top speed is 47 mph, 654 prop, Bimini up.

• Baller
I would think the more powerful engine would give you a smoother pull through the course. Since there is more torque the skier is less likely to slow the boat down when pulling across the wakes or when loading up in the rope after the finish of the turn so the ZeroOff does not have to apply as much throttle to hold the speed or less RPM swing giving you a more true constant speed. Does that make sense or am I talking crazy?

I have a 2013 SN-200 5.7, it is more than satisfactory. If you're skiing shortline (28 or shorter), the correct prop is important - 15.5 pitch. It is a little less harsh on the skier when ZO adjusts in the course.

• Baller

I have a 2011 5.7 openbow which was a former promo boat. Boat is going 34 mph 95% of the

time in Bako, which is pretty much sea level. Pulled another owner yesterday whom has the

6.0 closed bow. Only difference was the rpms were lower at 34 mph. Actually my boat tracks better because the 6.0 engine is lighter and with the closed bow (also lighter) it seems the 6.0

is riding a little higher on the water.

I don't know what the dollar difference is between the two, but the 5.7 has done all that I need

for a slalom boat.

@kstateskier‌ I don't think anyone is suggesting they aren't good boats. My question was one of preference. I've skied both and like both. At the end of the day I decided on the 6L, but that in no way means the 5.7 is a bad boat or skis poorly.

@BlueSki You can justify or not justify purchases many ways, we do it almost daily. I justified the 6L by buying a Promo, it was roughly the same cost as a new 5.7L and virtually all of the promos in Florida are 6L. Now I just need to sell my 196. I'll make somebody a great deal!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=28564

• Baller
I pull some pretty good skiers in GA at 34 & 36 mph with my Promo Boat (2014 Ski 5.7) and it gets many compliments. I believe the feel behind the 5.7 may be that of giving the skier a minimal amount of "give-and-take" where the 6.0 is a harder pull with less "give-and-take," meaning the rope behind the 6.0 may be more like a cable if this analogy makes any sense. You won't regret having a 5.7 but if you can afford a 6.0, that too is a good choice, especially since it's a Nautique.

• Baller

The 6.0 has a softer pull because it is turning less RPM's. I have had 5.7's for all my promo

200's except here in 14. The pull is more predictable and smoother as you load the boat. The 5.7 is a great motor the 6 Liter just fits the hull design better.

• Baller

@scotchipman I just checked the Helena elevation and it turns out it is significantly lower than I thought. It sits at 3875 - not 4500. However, the 5.7 pulls all speeds within tolerance at this elevation on a 2200' lake with turn islands.