Which Reflex boot?

bhs

• Baller
I currently have the older black reflex boot that I cut/mod up some for slalom. I need to replace it and was wondering if anyone out there used the white cuff and what are the benefits over the standard for slalom?

• Baller
White cuff is kind of the standard one now for slalom. It allows to put the ski in front without forcing a tip rise and has a strap that could help preventing Achilles injuries.

• Baller
What @ral said. I just bought the white cuff version, H2O Pro Shop talked me into it. However, I haven't tried the black cuff, so I can't offer a good comparison between the two. Just wasting digital space. I noticed Terry Winter is using the white cuff reflex boot.

I run with the white cuff, having never tried the black cuff I can't offer a comparison. I will say that the transition from a rubber binding to the reflex was very quick. Personally I would want the boot too be any stiffer.

• Baller
Started with the black but now on the white cuff. The new white is better for me and I am 220lbs. Had an achilleses strain so I wanted the protection with the strap on the white cuff. Releases when it should every time and just feels safer to me.

The only difference between the white cuff and black cuff Reflex shells is the nylon webbing, or flection brake on the rear of the shell. If you look inside the black cuff Reflex boot where your achilles would be there is a small black plastic "tab" there that rises up from the heel. This was removed from the white cuff boot to give it the skier more forward mobility. The nylon webbing was added as a flection brake to give you a sort of stopping point. Reflex used to sell an aluminum "slide" that could be added to the rear of the black cuff boot that could be used as a flection brake, however I haven't seen them on their website for a few years now. I would imagine to encourage the sale of more white cuff boots to slalom skiers.

@bhs, i loved the white cuff, it helped my style. With black cuff i would often get pulled over the front and have a big otf. I have cracked my head open twice. With white cuff i felt safe and in a nice position. It felt like i wasn't been forced over the front of my ski. It defineately helps you get out of trouble. Theres heaps of benefits and there is nothing bad i can say about it.

• Baller

Black boot has a lip that prevents your ankle from going backwards past 90 degrees while the white cuff would allow your ankle to flex further backwards. Black also has a tab that slows ankle movement providing extra resistance in moving your ankle forward/backwards while the white cuff has almost no resistance forwards and backwards and an adjustable limiting strap in going forwards.

Ability-wise, I'm not skiing much any different between the two. However, the black boot was causing me a lot of ankle pain in a release even with it set below the minimum. Since I got the white cuff boot and put the limiter on the middle hole, I haven't really had much trouble with my ankle. So my vote is white cuff all the way.

• Baller
I have used all three versions of the Reflex boot the two black versions and the white cuff. The white version is the best as there is more freedom of movement. The belt/webbing must be adjusted to suit your personal ankle range. Reflex don't exactly spell it out what happens if you don't.

• Baller
@ skialex and Deanoski I just purchased the black boot and am enjoying it but its taken some time. Can you fellas clarify the 'cutting the top off' situation. Do you mean cutting the top rear plastic 'loop' part off?

• Baller

I have no experience from the black Reflex but..Yesterday I mounted double white Reflex (coming from radar) on my AM6.0. First set was a disaster, couldnt make a single pass.. For a second set I moved one hole forward and it was a little bit better. Ran 2 full passes out of 6 @28. After a third set it was like I Always have been using Reflex. Ran 6 wide and early full passes @28. I am not looking back!

Tsixam

• Baller

@giddyup If I measure from horse shoe to horse shoe I have c/c 336 mm (sorry :=) ). It´s a bit further apart than I’m used to but it worked out just fine. They are so close that I just can slip in the front without getting stuck on the release clamp.

Tsixam

• Baller

Skialex.

I remember a discussion about why a lot of pros (including CP, Andy, and Will) cut the "loop" off the back/top of the shell. If you or anyone else has a link (Or just wants to refresh my memory) please let me know.

• Baller

@MrJones‌ I really don't know about the pros discussion, when I bought my first Reflex 6 years ago boot came cut from the factory and it was advertised on their site as a solution for slalom versus the uncut that was better for tricks. I have never tried an uncut one but I cut off the top of all my ski buddies' boots and every one of them says that it feels better.

I think that with the higher cuff when you lose your balance to the back it works as a longer lever which amplifies rocking back and forth with bad results to your skiing. Well this is my explanation I do not have strong evidence to support this.

Alex,