TXi vs Prostar

bbruzzese

• Baller
Just sold our 08 197 and looking for a replacement ASAP. Narrowed it down to either a TXi or the new Prostar. Been behind the Txi a few times but never the prostar...any thoughts? Skiability, Driveability, Roominess? Most interested in slower speed wakes for my kids...9yr old running the course at 23 and up while the 7yr old just starting on the slalom...not too concerned about his wakes in the teens but it wont be long till he starts increasing speeds. Thanks!

I've spent a little time in the Mastercraft and a bunch in the TXi, both have similar (great) skiability, drive pretty well (both excellent, but not as good as a 200 IMO, not sure if the Mastercraft I drove was setup completely and I never adjusted the seat right, Mastercraft has 100% more room so that's the main area it excels in from your questions.

Wakes are excellent for low speed on both from my observation. I think with it being a new hull that resale on the mastercraft will be better, but just guessing.

• Baller
wake on prostar is better. From what I have heard, the prostar is rough to drive... A ton of torque on the rudder (words I have heard from people who drove it), roominess I would say TXi. The prostar may be as wide, but the TXi to me feels like a bigger boat.

• Baller
Those racks...,agreed. MC does look roomier in pics but hard to tell. Doesn't seem like much storage in the MC...No trunk etc. Wakes too close to call? Thanks again for any input...got to decide in the next 24/48 or the summer will be gone here in VT

• Baller

IMO storage is not all its cracked up to be - particularly if it makes it hard to get into/out of the boat - or really isn't going to hold what you want it to.

I use most of my storage to hide USCG vests in case the sheriff gets to inspecting, the skis are always out (hence those racks are a beauty) and the vests people use are always out or on. Otherwise the wet stuff comes out of the boat, and the storage holes hold phones/soap/sunscreen and vest.

• Baller
Just a thought..... thos really sweet MC ski racks........ check the price and the sweet taste goes away in my mouth. I think they are roughly $1000 per side???? That is what a buddy of mine was quated when he ordered his boat......... Any know for sure?

• Baller

The swivel ski rack for a Malibu G3 tower is $1200 per side ;) The non swivel is almost $900

This is what you get for $900, so I'm not real shocked that the Prostar rack - which is pretty cool costs that much.

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/WP_20140417_004.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/WP_20140417_005.jpg

• Baller
The TXI has definitely proven itself. But as far as room goes, it's really got the smallest interior now. The PS is massive inside. The 200 has 2" more width. And the CP isn't plush like the TXI and has more room because of that. The open bow of the TXI is bigger than the 200, but smaller than the PS.

• Baller
I've skied behind the new Mastercraft at our Utah club's demo day. At 22 off I've never skied behind anything that compares with it. At shorter lengths I don't think it matters. But at 22-off, smallest wakes I've ever experienced.

• Baller

The room in the ProStar is awesome, and the ski racks and ZO display are second to none. IT is a very roomy boat.

Not to threadjack, but I will have a 2009 197 for sale probably in July. 600 hours or so. Boat will be completely detailed and will be run through completely by a MC certified mechanic. This is also the last year that the 2009 could get a new set of MC upholstery skins. I can get a very good price on those if someone was interested I having a spare set of upholstery to put in the boat in another 4-5 years as it wears. Great boat for all three events. Like @eleeski says, great trick wakes!

I am also looking for one of these two boats. How about engines for the txi? I have heard that the 6.0 for the Txi skis better, but not sure if it's a weight issue or a firmer/better pull? Is the 6.0 lighter than the 5.7 engine?

• Baller
I have skied all boats. 34 -28 and shorter...1- Pro Star 2- Carbon Pro 3-CC 200 4-TXI. That being said all four boats are great and I could PB behind anyone of them any given day, but if I had my choice that would the order. Just FYI I own and ski behind a malibu so I am not a homer.....OF