Getting out of Strada bindings when finished

dchristman

• Baller
Over the last year several folks I ski with have gotten Strada bindings. At the end of their set, they seem to have great difficulty getting out of the bindings, and fumble around in the water for a while trying to get out. Is this a typical experience, or do they have the top lace too tight? I got a pair of the similar O'brien Prodigy bindings... when I'm finished I grab the tip of the ski and pull and my feet with the liners pop right out.

• Baller
I've never had any issues getting out of my RS-1s...(older version of stradas). A guy I ski with has Stradas and he seems to be able to get his laces undone prior to settling into the lake from his last pull out and glide after releasing the handle.

• Baller
Once in a while I will test the lace tightness by pulling my feet out (with liners) without loosening them. I always come right out easily. If you cannot, they are too tight and you are risking injury. Usually, to save wear and tear on the laces, I loosen them before pulling the ski off my feet.

• Baller
Top laces are kept just barely snug. Bottom laces are pretty tight. I typically release the top lace by popping it off one of the hooks using only one finger. I can pull out of then without releasing the top lace, but save on wear and tear. I never losen the bottom laces.

• Baller

If you can't pull your foot out without loosening the top lace, it's too tight, unless you like your foot to always stay in during a fall. I get mine pretty snug but can still pull my feet out after skiing. I occasionally check this to make sure I can come out but not after every round.

Finding the top lace tab can be cumbersome with Kevlar or Power Locks. Much easier with Amara gloves to feel.

I also spray my liner bottoms and heels with silicone and they slide in easier to reduce wear and tear. I haven't noticed if they come out easier, but assume they do.

• Baller
Thanks all. I will pass on your comments today and stop nagging them. I think the key is to test the release in the water as @zman and @ab said - you should be able to get out without too much effort or pain. How you get out when you're done doesn't have to be the way it would happen in an actual emergency release situation... take all the time you want taking off your gloves and futzing with the strings and velcro to save on wear and tear, but not because that's the only way you can get out. For you guys that just undo the top lace when finished, does the liner come out with your foot?

• Baller
@AB I agree you should be able to pull your foot out easily without loosening the laces. To protect the longevity of the laces and bladder I prefer to pull my foot out with everything loose at the end of the set.

• Baller
I only undo the top lace to get out, and yes the liners come out with my feet. I leave the bottom laces very snug always, never loosen them, and no extra wear comes from it that I can see.

• Baller

For me, the lower lace determines my connection to the ski and my ability to put pressure on the nose of the ski when needed. So, once I got that right, I leave it alone.

The upper laces should never be "as tight as I can" unless you never want to come out of your bindings.

• Baller
Maybe I'm causing undue wear, but with the top laces not-done-too-tightly (as it should be), as I sink in to the water I lift my heels (back especially), reach down and grab the tip of my ski and pull it towards me. Liners come out on my feet, haven't even touched the laces. (note: RS-1s, predecessors to Stradas).

• Baller
i prefer to unhook the top laces then use my thumb to hold the back liner in place and pull my foot out leaving the liner in the shell. then i put my back toes against the front liner and grab the ski tip to pull my front foot out leaving that liner in the shell too.

• Baller
I don't tighten my lower laces on my stradas anymore. I was having foot cramping issues. I tighten the top laces tight enough to feel comfortable but loose enough to release. I test to see that my heels can rise a bit when I'm on the dock before I ski every set.

• Baller

A lot of the fumbling are skiers trying to pull up the little button (tab) on the small plastic

piece that holds the elastic laces in place.... with gloves on. Sometimes you have to undo the top part of the lace so that there is no side pressure which holds the tab down. I like to take my feet out of the RS1 bindings with the liners still inside the shell so I don't have to mess with

inserting them back inside the shell. If we took off one glove first, it would probably be faster without any fumbling.