When I'm in a slump I do the following........

Wish

• Baller_
Sort of the same thought process as last poll I put up. Was feeling sloppy at 35. Today I stayed at 28 the entire set and really honed in on the basics. Was not just letting the pass be the easy warm up pass but really working every aspect. So where do you go to get your mojo back when you're in a slump.

• Baller
Depends on how bad the syptoms are, had a crap set 2 days ago. Today matched my practice PB, that is skiing, smile and wave. Ive learned to deal with the bad, it happens to all of us. This sport is 80% mental once you reach a certain level. My old coach always said if you can run -32 well then you have the tools to run -38.

• Baller

If progress at the shortest working line length is digressing, then back two loops x 2 passes, back one loop to reconfirm owning it (4 clean passes in a row) for 2 consecutive sets.

I find it relatively easy to recognize errors in form/technique/timing, but difficult to ensconce whatever it is being done reasonably correct when skiing well; reviewing logged notes thoroughly helps a bit.

• Baller

But I'm careful about "declaring" a slump. Usually it's nothing at all and the best thing to do is also nothing. But if it carries through a few practice sessions, then it's back to basics.

Also, if I detect something specific that isn't right, I may bust out a wacky remedy for it. This happened just last week where I felt I was doing everything too slowly and so I took a set at 36 to make myself think and react faster. Was fun and when I back to 34 I felt much more on top of things.

• Baller_
If I think I am slumping, rest is often a good solution. I also like to go back to basics and work on fundamentals. I like to do drills that focus on timing and body position. Skiing before the buoys is a good drill. Or start with two ball as your first turn , so you ski the imaginary gate from the one ball side. Or I threaten myself with my trick skis.

Lpskier

• Baller

Also trying to have a short term memory of a bad set helps me. Acknowledge that you are not skiing well, try to salvage what you can (example maybe only focus on gates) then move on. I had my best set this year this week then the next day my set was horrible. I've heard that most elite professional athletes have the ability to block out a bad performance and immediately move on.

Maybe this should be another poll......but I'm curious what do people do when they are learning a new line length? Unfortunately I've never had luck with 1/2 loops or slowing down the boat. The only thing that works for me is dropping back a bit and focusing on fundamentals.

• Baller_
@Razorskier1‌ 24 passes.?!?!.... My knees ache just thinking about it. The only thing that would be in a slump after that many passes would be my lower back....for about a month!! Wow!

• Baller
@wish - you forgot several other options: throw ski, pitch a hissy fit in the water, give stinkeye to little kids, mope by yourself at the end of the dock away from others, question your existence, sigh a lot, read too many tips on BOS and get too many "fix" thoughts in your head, adjust fin/adjust boot position/wear new trunks, so many options.

• Baller
ID the problem and what could fix it, drop to a longer loop to fix it, probably 2 loops, fix it and then go back up the rope. Whether in a slump or not, there are things we want to improve or change and I work them up and down the rope. Some sets run my second pass 8 times. The next ride go up the rope tournament style. Just depends.