INT Arkansas

mikey

Im considering trying a few ski comps held here in Arkansas this summer. The only problem is I've yet to run the course. I would consider myself an intermediate skier that is still working on being stacked and making rhythmic turns. My goal is to be able to run the course one day.. But, I don't have access to one so I just free ski as much as possible when I'm at the lake house.. I've been to a couple of ski schools. So, I'm somewhat familiar with the course. Just no luck navigating through it yet.... Anyway, would it be silly for me to just sign up for a tournament and give it a shot without actually running the course beforehand.. I'm just trying to get as much experience as I can... Advice welcomed please. Thanks!

• Baller

GO FOR IT! That is how I started 2 years a go! You should also find an AWSA guy or two in your area and try to get a few pulls and pointers from them. There may also be a good INT guy or two. I got lucky and stumbled into a couple INT guys that were good skiers, knowledgeable, and all around good guys. @TeamWally‌ was a HUGE help through INT! He helped me find my ZO number and started getting me set up to run shorter lines. Still love skiing with him. Ted Pooler from Yakima, WA INT was also a HUGE help at our INT events. Many AWSA guys started out in INT as well!

Don't be afraid to ask for help and get a few sets in at some ski lakes in your area! It will be easier to get access than you think.

• Baller
@mikey The INT could potentially be a great place to start, however, it is my understanding that they have not held a slalom INT event in Arkansas for a few years. I do know some guys that can probably help you out though....check your private messages.

Thanks guys. I live in Little Rock. I know of a a couple of private clubs in AR. One in Scott, AR the Greenwoods I believe own that one and one up in Fayettville area. I'll message Onside135 and 501 Brandon for more info in my area.

• Gold Member
Just piling on, but: Definitely go. Showing up at a tournament tells people you are serious about getting better, which is FAR more important than being good when it comes to getting yourself time with good skiers on good facilities. Treat it as a networking opportunity: make sure you meet everyone, learn about them, and tell them about yourself. Get lots of phone numbers. Etc.