Don't Wait - GET STARTED TODAY!

GOODESkier

• Baller

I realized last weekend, that it was really stupid to wait until now to start skiing AWSA tournaments. I kept thinking I needed to be able to run 35' OFF to get started. HOW STUPID. I should have been skiing them the last 2 years when I couldn't run 22' OFF! My biggest regret is that I lost lots of time worrying about skiing well, and missed out on the wealth of knowledge and experience available in AWSA and it's membership! INT is a valuable resource as well and I am finding lots of the AWSA guys have an INT background.

Quick shout out to @richarddoane‌ @robscholl-OF‌ for helping me get started this past weekend. GREAT group of people involved.

If you are at all interested in skiing a course and progressing, I recommend the following:

1. Get on a ski and binding set up that works for you. Something that offers a solid platform for where you are and allows some room for growth.

2. Have someone knowledgeable watch you ski and dial in your ski for your current ability/style. Even if you posted video here and asked for help. You'll get some people that are genuinely interested in helping you ski better!

3. Take a lesson or two from someone better than you. Get a coaching from someone you respect.

4. Ski every INT and AWSA tournament you can. AND TALK TO EVERY SKIER YOU CAN! SURROUND YOURSELF WITH PEOPLE BETTER THAN YOU ARE! INT was a great was to get started, but I wish I had been doing BOTH!

If I had followed this advice sooner, I know I would be rounding more balls!

Fair enough- I've done all of the above except #4. It's not because I'm afraid of making a fool of myself- at age 37 I'm used to that. I just keep thinking I'll spend time getting up early driving to a tournament so that I can ski 1 or 2 passes when I could have stayed home and skied 3 or 4 sets with the family. In all seriousness the question I need to answer is whether I'm happy where I'm at skiing for fun or whether I want to push it to shorter lines.

• Baller

@crashman Totally reasonable question. Tournaments aren't for everyone. But the one thing I hope never factors into someone's decision is "I'm not good enough." Anyone who can consistently run some pass is good enough. Then it's just a question of whether the whole tournament concept is right for you.

Only one way to find out!!

That is hard to fathom. I started running -22 last spring, and I think I will be happy to be into deep -35 2 years later. That is skiing every day and with lots of good coaching and equipment! Now I feel bad. Though it is at 36

• Baller
@crashman I understand your point and have a friend that I ski with who I kind of had to drag to the first tournament he skied in because he said the same thing you said. For me the tournament experience is more than just the 2 or 3 sets you get to ski that day. The people and overall experience are a huge part of it. I have made many great friends through skiing tournaments and spend a lot of excellent quality time with my son. I would suggest getting your family into it. My son could run 3-4 full passes when he first started skiing tournaments but there are plenty of kids that are running 1-2 full passes in the beginning and everyone gets a bigger kick out of watching them run PBs than anyone else. There are more people watching the kids ski than anyone else.

• Baller
@kfennell I think @GOODESkier is really an alien. His progression is crazy. I got back into skiing about 8 years ago and could run -22 almost immediately and I ran -35 for the first and only time (so far) last year. If you can progress from running -22 to deep -35 in 2 years that is awesome progress.

@Chef23 good points- my 8 year old just got up on a jr slalom ski so hopefully it won't be long before we could do it as a family. Right now it would mean taking 3 kids and the wife to watch Dad ski but when my older boys are skiing buoys it will make more sense. I do know this- I would much rather go to ski tournaments as a family than go to travel ball games.