Goode Nano OneXT Review

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2014/xt.jpg

The original Nano One was a truly groundbreaking ski. It was not a particularly fast ski, and it was perhaps not the ski of choice when trying to ski as smooth as possible. What the original Nano One did was that it forgave the skier for committing otherwise unforgivable mistakes at the ball.  Once the skier got to the apex of the turn, the Nano One was practically magic. The result was not the prettiest passes possible but scores beyond what was expected.

The Nano OneXT has the same shape as the original Nano One with changes to the rocker and to the bevels. The result of these seemingly small changes is a substantial change in speed and in smoothness, along with the effort required to get wide. With the right inputs, the XT can provide extremely smooth and flowing passes.

Off Side Turn & On Side Turns: The XT turns unusually symmetrically. On both sides, the ski works best when the skier is in a neutral stance and with understated movements.  With refined technique, the ski will carve a tight fast arc at the ball line. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this ski is how much water speed can be maintained through the turn. With more aggressive/impatient skiing, the ski will change direction quickly but will lose water speed resulting in hard, frantic skiing.

From the ball to the wakes: This ski creates the right amount of cross course speed when the skier is centered and does not create extra load.  Additional load is simply unnecessary, and with this ski, leads to less consistent results on the other side of the centerline. The skier needs to set angle, maintain stack and trust the ski. No more & no less.

From the wakes to the ball: To get the most from the XT, the skier must keep his or her shoulders level and weight centered when approaching the ball. If the skier can resist the temptation to move forward or backward of center on the way out of the ball, the ski will arc out and back with an amazing lack of drama.

Conclusion: More than any other ski reviewed to date, the XT holds speed from the wakes to the ball and back to the wakes. The result is less effort spent accelerating and decelerating. The possible downside is that excess speed created in a moment of panic is harder to bleed off. In terms of set up and skiing technique, the XT is finicky, but if you give this ski exactly what it requires, it is fantastic.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2014/xt-2.jpg

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Just started with the 66" XT a few weeks ago. Coming from a 67" 9800SL. I've started with the Nano XT stock settings for the fin but the front binding is 1/8" forward of stock. I use a rear toe strap. I placed the binding that way because I'll need to drill out the bindings holes a little to allow it go to back into the stock position but I figured it was no harm in starting in that spot. I'm left foot forward.

Skiing at 28. My first impression with the ski is a good on side turn but a slow delayed off side. I've always skied with an 8 degree wing forever. so after few sets I went to the 8 degree postion and it cured the offside turn. I'm only 6 sets into the season and the ski but I think I feel a better angle crossing the wake with this ski.

My questions to the experts is this. There is a reason the ski specs say 9-9.5 degrees. I assume I'd get more from the ski at those settings but have experienced the same delay in the past with the offside turn unless I'm at 8 degrees. Any ideas how I could set the ski up with a 9 degree wing and get good turns on both sides? Any ideas on my problem. I'm Men5 and when I'm up to speed I have run to mid 39 in the mid 2000's. Now I max out at 4-5 38.

Please help?

• Members

I got a 66" N1XT this week. I started 1/8" forward and the ski bit hard and hesitated on the onside and 32 was difficult. I moved the fin back 1/8" rear of stock and set the wing to 10 degrees and ran 38 in first round of Shortline tournament yesterday and 5.5 @ 38 the second round. Those are the best two tournament scores I've had in 7 years and I didn't even feel like I was skiing that well. The ski is awesome and turns great.

I only weigh 175 and think that Horton may have been better served on the 66". I have always been a proponent of skiing on the biggest ski that I can slow down and turn well at my hardest pass, which the 66" certainly does for me. I feel like this ski can get me back to skiing like I did 10 years ago when I was skiing my best.

• Baller

I skied on Brett's ski today and didn't know what to expect since I have never skied on a Goode before. I liked how the ski continued to get width while decelerating. It was a strange feeling because I expected to get caught without my hips up on the other side of the ball but the ski was always there.

Brett you should give yourself 6 on that second round score. That's what I scored myself.

a. This specifically means that the skier is permitted to have slack going through the exit gates. If the skier skis away then he may continue.

b. If the skier does not ski away, the turn ends and the skier scores 6 provided they crossed the line of the boat buoys before the end gate with or without a slack line.

• Baller
@Mateo Vargas - I don't think you went out the exit gates. I scored you a 5.5. I'm with Brett that you deliberately messed up the end of that pass so that you wouldn't have to plunk down the dollars for a new ski!

• Baller
I thought you were a judge Schroed? I only needed to get back to the boat buoy line for 6. With Brett's boat, Brett's lake, Brett's ski, Brett's driving & even Brett's lunch I did not feel it was an appropriate time to try 39. I just wanted him to feel good about his capital expenditure.

• Baller
I don't remember where you dropped the handle, but I think you dropped it before you got back to the boat buoys. I thought we were just practicing anyways. Next time I'm going to pay more attention to practice if my reputation as a judge will come into question during a practice set..... Regardless of the exact score, I'm not sure I want you to start doing crack!

Got a 66.75 XT and noticed that the stock binding set up is 29.375 from tail. There's a .375 difference between the 66.75 and the 66 binding stock placement which seems like a lot. Anyone running this ski with binding placement numbers?

• Members
On a 66.75 N1XT, 29.375" is working perfect. In the past I would be forward of factory spec on previous Goodes almost an .75 inch, without running a wing. Skiing it factory spec with wing (first time in 20 years), its rockin'