Nicole Arthur - Video Update***

SM

While I was putting this video of Nicole together, I was seriously impressed with her skiing form and how easy she makes it look. So for fun, I made a couple side by side video comparisons of myself and a few of my buddies vs Nicole. Everything at 28 off. Everybody can run 35 on a good day so pretty good skiers. In every case, Nicole was across the course faster than the guys, which means she has lots of time and easy smooth turns that end up with great angle. Us guys skied narrow and relied on cranking and bullying the ski to make the next ball.

So the argument was made that she is way lighter than any of us so of course she can be faster than us. I then ran this whole thing by Andy and he told me that he is even faster than Nicole. Even though I believed Andy, I still went ahead and made a side by side video of Andy vs Nicole. Much to my dismay, he is faster across course than Nicole. It goes without saying that I will not be making the side by side videos of me and my buddies vs Andy.

So what I really learned out of all this is turns mean almost nothing. Being efficient and getting across the course quickly is everything. With any luck and solid effort applying what I learned in my side by side comparisons, I'll be skiing like a girl some time soon.

• Baller

She really was off for a while, Good to see her back!

I disagree about the turns @SM‌ though to a certain extent. She has so much ski in the water, her onside puts her into leverage immediately off the ball.

• Baller_

In that video, watch her reach with the handle into her offside turn and the finish of the turn itself. It reminded me of Nate in the way she keeps the handle low into pre-turn before reaching upward with it. The finish of that offside turn also reminds me of Nate on his 1,3,5.

Just my observation.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Agreed, but I believe it's the time she has at the width of the course before the ball that allows her to do that. I have approval from 1 guy who will remain anonymous (until you watch the video) to put up the side by side. Here is the caveat. This video was shot last week in upstate New York, in cold water and cold air, while being out of "ski shape". I made this video to illustrate the subtle differences that pro's have over the rest of us. You have to watch it frame by frame to really see where the big stuff is. @wtrskior I don't think you can get that much ski in the water in the turn when you come in fast and narrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lUthrwZDQ

• Baller

I see her impressive speed into the wake coming from five thimgs:

1) carries lots of speed through the turn itself,

2) fabulous rope control (not skiing into slack),

3) early clean hook up,

4) perfectly aligned stack, and

5) steep and efficient lean angle.

• Baller_

Great comparisons. Here are a few general observations:

1. Nichole's speed starts at the turn in for the gates. She both has more speed (less glide) and gets after it immediately when turning in. The hackers have a slower glide and turn gradually, which generates much less speed.

2. She is much more stacked all the time. The hackers have their butts behind and shoulders forward which is much less efficient in generating speed and prevents proper body position in the turns.

3. Eric has his front leg almost locked most of the time. SM isn't quite as bad, but his front leg is also overly stiff. The stiff/locked front leg makes it nearly impossible to get stacked and generate speed efficiently.

4. The hackers will need to spend some serious time in the tattoo parlor.

Many other little differences, but these are 90% of the reason she will kick their butts.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@SM said "So what I really learned out of all this is turns mean almost nothing. Being efficient and getting across the course quickly is everything."

This has been this years mantra for me and @CAM - what we are finding is the better you get at this ( and it's VERY slow progress - video every set) the more the ski is in the water off the second wake and the less mistakes that happen in the turn. This year it's not about making more bouys but "feeling" a smooth fast pass - way more fun!

• Baller

Tremendous videos Scott, you should really look into doing this work full time!

The side by sides are great. Biggest difference I noticed is in the 2nd video, 1st sbs comparison, check out how much more angle she finishes the turn with, how much more ski is in the water and how these 2 aspects get her across the wakes waaaay ahead of her "comparitor". Looks so easy!

It seems to me that the turn is there to set up a great angle. We used to spend so much time, effort and thinking on perfecting the pre-turn but now I believe it's all about how you finish the turn. Yes, you cannot make a great leverage position from a bad turn, but I submit that all is not lost in a less than ideal turn. I've watched countless videos of Nate, Seth and more where it looks like they're done at x-ball only to re-set at the finish of that turn, regain a decent leverage position and get across quickly and make x+1.

Great videos Scott @SM thanks for starting this thread.

• Baller
Watch her hip alignment. It goes with some conversations I've had with Trent Finlayson and Drew Ross lately, which is that you can be stacked but not have the correct body alignment. She keeps her pelvis aligned with the direction of the ski regardless of where her shoulders are aligned. So the amount of time/distance that she's presenting her pelvis to the boat is small. Instead, she presents the inside hip to the boat all the way to the top of the arc and the only time both hips/sternum are pointed at the boat is during a direction change. Contrast that to the hackers and for the most part you start to see the hips/sternum facing the boat while they're still going outbound.

• Baller

@ShaneH Great observation on the hips. You say sternum but are you really talking about pelvis?

Anyway...I am still a hack but had an "aha" moment finally this winter while studying slow motion videos of Regina Jacques and Terry Winter that I think is also evident with Nicole's skiing.

They are "patient" with their turns, i.e. they keep the shoulders back - chest out stance (that even the guys in the side-by-sides show in the pre-turn and start of the turn) all the way through the turn and finish with good ski angle (under the rope and lots of ski in the water) and with the handle low and down by the "trailing leg" thigh. I am convinced that skiing all the way through the turns to that position is the key and can't wait to try to apply it in the course this summer (crappy spring and injury has kept me off the water so far).

I think a lot of us guys want to jump on the handle early with the rope "in front" of us, which not only cuts off the end of the turn but also tends to put us in the butt back - bent over - straight leg - wheelie turn - crappy angle position.

• Baller
Oh yeah...and one other key observation....they are dynamic in their position....it is not held static once they achieve their stack....they get on it early, accelerate the ski from white water to wakes and advance the ski through to "in front" of them early. These are the things I am working on this year.

• Baller

One thing I noticed is that Nicole appears to be "going slower" but in actuality is faster cross course. The guys - who look like they are "flying" across the water - get to the buoy slower. One of the difference's I believe is total body movement. Nicole is fluid in her movements whereas the guys are "pounding" out the buoys. Both ways get it done - no style points at a tournament.

*I am by no means knocking the guys skiing - I wish I skied that well.

** I wish I skied like a girl.

• Baller

I like the summary that @Bruce_Butterfield provided. That is some real good stuff. The other thing I picked up is that I think the turn is important. Nicole really finishes the turn well in a stacked position and is immediately ready to generate speed cross course. There is no wasted time waiting for things to hook up or having to reset the angle.

This is a great thread @SM thanks for the cool videos.

• Baller

Nichole looks to be maxing out her pull right at the white water. She still got her ski on edge at the wakes but definitely not as much lean.

She really keeps her hips up throughout. The only time she lets her drop back at all is at the edge change after the wakes. (but she still does not let her shoulders get forward)

Her weight front to back on the ski looks balance or forward thoughtout. Last year I got to ski with Seth, I thought I had a good stack, but first think he said is you have way to much weight on your rear foot. So on top of 1) being stacked, 2) Properly aligned, I'll add 3) well balanced on the ski.

She sure makes it look easy.

• Baller

A quick observation/thought...

IMHO speed across the water is a combination of angle of ski, leverage/pull force on the rope and the angle in relation to the boat. Another important factor is how much ski is in the water (at the right angle) and how much mass there is to move.

If the ladies get into the right ski angle, appropriate and best stacked body position at the ball and through the turn, doesn't it make sense that with less mass (weight) on the same ski as a heavier skier, they would fly across the water faster?

I guess what I'm saying is that the old days of muscling through the course are indeed long gone, (duh!) and that technique and timing to be as light on the handle as possible and as efficient in the pull section of each buoy is paramount.

That's why my best, however infrequent, -32offs felt easy. Wish I could do that more often!

Ps, I also noticed about 10 yrs ago that pictures of the ladies slalom skiers never, or at least rarely, had them grimacing and straining. Even at the most intense pat of the pull section of the course.

I obviously need to get in touch with my feminine side (and get a car like that!)

Alright Ballers, the Hackers were together again last week-end and as promised, there is more video. In my opinion, everybody improved but there is a long road ahead before any of us ski as smooth as Nicole. It will be a little while before the next instalment but the hackers will get together again and continue to post updates. Here's the video.

• Baller

@SM that is a great update!

1. What kind of bindings is the guy wearing in blue (2:00)?

2. One thing I notice is Nicole's knees... not that they are flexed and "soft", but they are always together and never separate. I can remember this was a point jodi Fisher used to make to us when we got coaching from him.

@ andre I'll talk to Brent and see if we can work it out. Late June - early July.

@ScarletArrow Eric is wearing Fluid Motion E series Bindings. Also, I have plenty of passes of Andy and his knees aren't always together. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to pipe in on that point.

@chef23 Labour day might be the next time that I might be there, hope to see you then. Summer schedule is pretty full. Skiing with @LPskier in two weeks in Lake Placid. Gotta make the rounds!

• Baller

I skied a couple sets with Nicole and Aidan a few years ago before the Masters. They are incredible coaches and gave me some tips from a perspective that I had not heard before then, or since. I do still keep those notes on my main page of to-do's that I read through before taking sets to work on my mechanics. When I actually work on those things, all of my passes improve in ease and buoy count.

@Texas6 @estrom that 427 really is her daily driver (when the weather is nice).

@liquid d That's a really cool article. I like the advent of cotton garden gloves. Also, I like his suggestion of starting every set at a speed higher than you have mastered. I have a friend who starts off at 36 runs a couple passes and then slows it to 34. He says it makes a big difference. Maybe that's what it'll take Perch to get past 2 ball on his opener.... waaaay past 2 ball :)