Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

West coast slalom

• Baller

I have recently been re watching the West coast slalom vid and notice there are some cool aspects to it. Watching it and the skiers at my lake I think i am more suited for aspects in the west coast style. What are common thoughts out there regarding what the video calls 'old school' and 'WCS'? Are you morphing any of the concepts, maybe one working better on the off versus onside?

-Don

• Administrators
Skiing is an evolving sport. I am pretty sure that if you talked to the original West Coast guys they would tell you that they have evolved past those ideas. There are interesting ideas in there from a 40,000 foot view but I would not think you would want to embrace that video as a guide book.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I spoke to Marcus Brown down at Ski Paradise, about 3 years after the video came out . He told me that many of the concepts in the video were still sound, but as Horton mentioned, Marcus had developed some different and better training methods after that video was made.

• Baller
@cragginshred‌ The way good skiers ski has changed very little over time, but the way we've tried to describe good skiing has been through all kinds of gyrations. I think the best way to watch this video is with the sound turned off.

• Baller
I will say that both of them ski more wide open than most skiers do - Marcus particularly. I believe there is something to it but there are varying degrees of potential magnitude by skier depending on their level of flexibility - particularly as it relates to the hips

• Baller
Interesting everyone keys into the hip rotational aspect of the video. There are cool aspects to the video such as the dated computer graphic part that really breaks down the edge change and the pull out, land training examples by Marcus and Terry which shows their perspective style. It would be cool for someone to do a more current video with better graphics and up to date techniques.

• Baller

@cragginshred...That Video was state of the art when it came out many years a go....It was also prior to ZO which has changed things a lot..I still feel there is a lot of value towards understanding the concept of COM movement vs. Old School Technique in that Video.

I agree it would be nice to have a New Video that breaks down all the concepts of skiing efficently, making ZO work for you and not against you..Till then you just have to watch Videos of Nate Smith skiing !!!!