Speedometer replacement 2002 SN 196

skigirl

• Baller
I have a 2002 Ski Nautique 196 with speedometer issues. The speedo often registers an impossible high speed, like 40's when barely moving. Sometimes it is accurate but often too high. We have the paddlewheel, not pitot tubes, and no PerfectPass. I noticed that one of the two vertical guides on the side of the paddlewheel has broken off and I am guessing this is causing the paddle to free spin? I am guessing I need to replace the paddlewheel assembly and am wondering if anyone had any advice before I jump in. Thanks!

• Baller
Don't bother with it, replace with a Precision Star GPS speedo from Perfect Pass. It's the perfect option if you don't have Stagazer (which has it's own speedo) and still use an older style speedo. GPS can't miss. $350.

• Baller

If you start spending money in the few hundreds........ my common sense says get something that increases your fun skiing..........

If you ski a course = GET SPEED CONTROL

If you free ski = USE YOUR I-PHONE and save your money........

Just my 2 cents

@rockdog, agreed Precision Star is awesome and the install is a breeze. Also agree with @GOODESkier although it is well known that phone GPS aps are not very accurate compared to a real GPS. If you have a Garmin or TomTom or some old one from your car laying around, that's a good option, and you can plug into your accessory plug. That's what I used to use until I got Stargazer.

@skigirl you say your '02 has the paddlewheel so I'm assuming that your gauges were already swapped for the Faria kit and you no longer have the original digital Teleflex gauges? I still have one of the Faria swaps in my '02 and it is never very accurate. I've played around with the potentiometer until I was blue in the face. I've given up on it. If you don't want to fork over the cash for speed control, your next best option is the Precision Star route.

• Baller

If you don't care that 34.2 MPH is 16.95 seconds from gate to gate, then you can use RPM for a set point or get fancy and use your I-PHONE, garage sale GARMIN or TOM TOM. Heck call it HORTON-HORTON.........

In all seriousness, I ski with a guy on occasion without speed control. We use RPM to set up, and then force a little through the pass to make it harder than normal. Never had a PB on his boat....... SO, if you aren't skiing a course every day, you probably can use the RPM guage and be very close, or atleast as good at 1980 when LaPoint ran the first 38 OFF........