D3 Quest settings (slow on side turn)

Waternut

• Baller

I have a 67" 2013 D3 Quest that I'm working with this year. About me: I'm 6' tall and 180lbs. I typically start at 32mph 22 off and spend most of my time at 34mph 28-32off. I know a lot of people suggested moving the bindings back to start with but I decided to spend 4 sets with bindings and fin at bone stock although without a wing. After 4 sets, I decided the stock settings just really don't work for me and started moving closer to what others have suggested in previous articles.

Right now I'm at 29.8", 6.920", 2.505", and 0.760" (slot) with no wing. The off side turn feels great and both wake crossings feel good but my on side turn feels like slow motion. It's clean and smooth but it takes forever for the ski to come around. Any recommendations on how best to address this issue? I don't see a whole lot of insight on poor on side turning. Would moving the rear binding back a little help without hurting something else?

• Baller

Put the wing on at least 7 degrees first. I run 8. IMO, if a ski isn't turning your on side check to see what your speed and direction are coming into the ball. If your direction is at the buoy (pulled up off the second wake) you wont turn. If you are too fast (pull too long or hard) you wont turn. Direction and speed should first be checked by how you are skiing. After that, you can try the wing to see if you can bleed some speed to get a tighter turn.

Your settings are close to what I run, but not everyone will like the same settings. I run 6.932tips, 2.508, and 0.742 flat. The boot measurement depends a lot on what boot you are using. I am 29.5" to the heal of my reflex shell.

• Baller

Everything you have there looks consistent with numbers I've seen.....except your dft and wing. Here are my numbers

6.925 tips

.740 slot

7 degrees

But I will say this. I start at 28 off (58k). And in my opinion my ski performs worst at 28, gets better at 32, and even better at 35.

• Baller
I'm not a huge fan of the wing but I'm willing to give it a shot. However, I thought moving the fin backwards made for more slow sweeping turns. Since that's the problem I'm currently having on my on side, is that right to make it even slower and more sweeping?

My partners work on binding location first, before adjusting fin from nominal stock specs... You might try moving rear binding back one hole, leaving front the same. Kind of a 1/2 hole movement at first. If it improves the on-side turn a bit move the front too, and see where that goes? Maybe then fine tune the fin specs.