Teaching kids to ski

mikey

Im going to try and teach my boys to ski this summer, they are 8 and 5. Need some advice please.. Should I get those kid skis that have the crossbar that hold them together or just a regular pair of kid skis? I have a Cobalt IO and a party barge to pull them with. Should I start them out behind the barge with someone holding the rope in case they forget to let go when they fall? I don't want it to be a bad experience, that's why I'm trying to keep them away from the Cobalt's massive wake! I have a hard enough time skiing behind it anyway! Ideas?

• Baller

I started my kids when they were 5 behind the boat. I put them on a pair of 59" HO skis with the bar attaching the skis together. We put someone in the water with them to hold them straight until the boat started to pull them. Your 8 year old will likely be able to control the skis in the water but the 5 year old will probably not be strong enough.

Dry land training is very important. Teaching the kids knees into the chest, arms out straight, let the boat pull them out of the water. Get the kids in the right position on land and practice pulling them up and teaching them to lean against the handle.

I don't know enough about either the party boat or the Cobalt to tell you which one to use.

• Baller

I taught my kids on these with a bar to keep the skis together:http://www.hosports.com/product-detail.php?id=waterskis-excel-combos

My son never skied without the bar he went right to one ski and learned to get up that way. My daughter did learn without the bar and went to one ski by dropping a ski.

• Baller

Find a BOS guy/gal with an inboard and a boom. If I am close enough just message me and you can come to my place and use our boat, boom, and training skiis. If I am not close enough, I bet there is a baller out there that is close enough. Agreed, it is the smoothness/progressive pull of the inboard at those slow speeds to be able to finesse the skier up as the driver. In the early days, it is more in the driving. A lot like barefooting really..........

Once they learn to get up, the Cobalt will be just fine as a recreational rig on 2 skiis. Even fun to jump the wake.

• Baller_
If you have a party barge that your willing to drive a few hardy screws into the deck, a big box store should have some galvanized pipe and pipe mount brackets where you could fashion a boom. Secure it to the floor and run a support rope to to the front of the pontoon. I'd keep it on the drivers side only so you can see them. All depends on your toon layout (door on drivers side) as well as horse power and willingness to mount the home brew boom. The hight would be about right and the kids just wont put that much stress on it. A boom is the way to go and you can make one or find someone as stated above. They will have immediate success (hugely important) and will eliminate any bad experiences that may turn them off. Success = FUN. You can use a handle and bridal after they get used to just the boom. I've even run a 8' rope and handle off it after that. Long line behind the boat is a cake walk when you break it into a few stages like that and they get quick success with each stage. Sorry for the crude drawing. Fat fingers and tiny iPhone screen.

• Baller

I may be in the minority here...but I would sub out that job. The first time I tried to teach my son to ski it was not fun for either of us. I brought him up to a ski club that was doing a learn to ski day. They had a boom and some skis with the cross bar. They started by teaching them position on a rope tied to a tree and in no time he was up and more importantly...enjoying it.

He then moved to a friends ski boat...boom...then short rope...then long rope, and I am hoping if I get my boat going this year he will ski behind mine...but something about a 540 twin turbo chevy with over transom pipes that kind of scares small children :)

• Baller

The boom makes it sooo much easier. My kids all started when they were small enough that I was the "human boom" off the side of the boat. Later on we used a boom to get them started on tricks.

I prefer skis tied together vs. the bar as each can move somewhat independently. Another tip is weights on the tails to sink them. It really helps them relax in the water when the skis aren't trying to float sideways.

And.... The patience of Job will be a benefit.

• Baller
I agree with @kmenard. While I have taught countless kids over the years, I still had my oldest son learn from a ski buddy. The young kids tend to provide less drama for anyone who is not their parent. On the flip side, during our learn to ski/foot sessions my wife and I have, we ask the parents to not speak or react to their child until they are back in the boat. Its a little harsh, I know, but there is far less drama and chatter.

• Baller
@Chef23 is right about the dry land practice, it was very helpful for my kids. When you think you have done it enough, do it some more, and then some more after that. It has worked well for my friends' kids also. They oftentimes end up asking to hit the water like the my kids.

• Baller
I had my daughter at the age of 3 on a knee board to start with. gave her confidence then progressed to ski's using a training boom at 5. The knee boarding gave her upper body position so once she was up on skis she has good body position.

• Baller_
+1 for tail weight on the skis. HUGE help. And +1 for someone else coaching and you cheering. But if the success rate is high depending on how you parse out the skills needed (land practice, boom, boom+bridal) you teaching them wont matter. Bottom line no matter who is teaching, it has to be FUN!! Success=FUN. Falling a lot = no fun.

• Baller

I started my kids on kneeboards. It is not scary and the speed can be incrementally increased. They can lie on it, knee on it or stand up - as their skills progress. Get two and the friend effect is really magnified. As they improve, they can learn tricks like 180s and 360s. Those will transfer to wakeboards and traditional trick skis.

Only problem, they might have so much fun kneeboarding and tricking that they won't slalom.

Eric

• Baller

My opinion is that there are two key elements - keep it fun and have a lot of progression so they can be successful and see improvement along the way in themselves, which comes back to the fun part again.

Dryland -> In Swing on Boom (if small enough) -> Directly on Boom -> 5 ft. Section on Boom -> Very Shortline Behind Boat -> Longline Behind Boat

Mike

• Baller_
I went to a metal scrap place and found 2 blocks 4"x4"x1" scrap stainless steal. Used the mushroom velco to secure them to the ski just in front of the fin block. Placed the same velco on a combo adult pair of skis and transfer the blocks when needed. The tail weight works wonders for adults learning. Adults seem to have even more issues being still while floating and relaxing with skis on. I've tied the adult skis togethers as well. Giant trainer skis. Anyway, try a scrap metal place. Doesn't have to be SS.

• Baller

I used hockey pucks for tail weights when my guys were learning. They cost about a $1 each and are impervious to the elements.

It took two per side on a pair of HO trainers....they are also round and don't have any sharp edges.

• Baller

I think that under 5 or 6 years old, you can teach your kids yourself with no problems. Over 6, might be better to get someone to teach and coach.

Here is mine, just turned 7, at our Nationals. I do not coach her anymore...

• Baller
Good stuff @ral. I love seeing videos of the kids. My son's first nationals was at 9 his last year in Boys 1 in the US and he tricked 660 and had a blast. Unfortunately he missed his opener in slalom but it was still a great experience that he will always remember.

• Baller
Went to Coble ski school last year just after my oldest daughter turned 3. Not only did April teach her how to swim, she also taught her how to ski. One of the best experiences ever. Would be going back again this year - but another skier is on the way... :-D

• Baller
I zip tied a handle to the boom ( right at the ends of the end cap plastic ) leaving just enough slack for hands to get through. The handle had a smaller diameter than the boom and little hands found it easier to grip.