Strange noise... indmar 5.7 (Jody?)

usaski1

• Baller
That sounds bad. But it sounds like its an exterior sound. Not a rod knock. Oil pressure ok? Try using a long screw driver to the ear trick. Also try removing the belt and turning each accessory manually.

• Baller_
I had something similar happen to me in my old MasterCraft when the head of one of the bolts holding the alternator (and maintaining belt tension via the alternator position) sheared off. The belt went just slack enough to press part of the alternator housing/bracket onto the spinning flywheel. Very metallic, grinding sound that was, to say the least, unnerving. I was very surprised the bolt broke. Thought I would have to drill it out, but there was a spacer behind the alternator and it was easily removed by just turning the bolt out via the exposed portion.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Just for grins have you read or checked out the thread on the circulation pump recall on the 5.7 indmar? Definitely sounds more accessory driven as it doesn't follow engine rpms like a rod or lifter would. Can tell at the end of the video when you rev it. Takes awhile for the sound to catch up.

• Baller

Squirt bottle of water will usually kill off belt noises.

Do you see any powdery crap down below the engine, or resting on the engine? Any rusty powder? Usually metal parts rubbing with "lathe" off and where it settles it will make a pile of rust

• Baller

took the belt off tonight, and sound went away. belt is warn on the rear side (to the rear of the boat) I it as quieter tonight. however, I think its going in the shop. I'm preying I still have warranty. Is it a 4 year warranty on Indmar purchased in 2010? atm, Im thinking its a bearing inside the motor, as as far as I can tell, there is no noise with no belt, but could still be a accessory bearing.. Took off water pump, inspected, seems fine.

• Baller
Hey, Mark if its not under warranty I can give you a hand fixing it, assuming is a pump or something easy. I'm out in Pflugerville. If there is no noise with the belt removed its got to be the pump or something.

• Baller
If the sound went away when you took the belt off then it makes no sense that it would be a main bearing in the motor. It would have to be something that is driven by the belt - water pump, alternator, etc. The crank was still spinning when you took the belt off as was everything inside the motor.

• Baller

And FWIW - Indmar is a 3 year warranty, 5 if you bought the insurance policy. At least that was the deal for 2012's.

The Factory 5 Year Warranty:

Extends and provides the same coverage as the original Factory 3 Year Warranty for 2 additional years on any 2011 or newer Indmar engine

Is available to owners who insure their boat with Boater ’s Insurance within 60 days from the date of delivery on any 2011 or newer Indmar engine registered in the 48 contiguous United States

Will remain in effect as long as the Boater ’s Insurance policy remains current

Is fully transferable to a subsequent owner providing the boat remains covered by Boater ’s Insurance and the change of ownership is registered with Indmar With Indmar, you get the full package - Power, Performance and Protection.

Boater’s Insurance has created an extremely unique insurance coverage plan that serves as a benchmark against all others and is available only to Indmar owners.

• Baller
Hate to see anybody spend money when not needed. When you say you took off the water pump I am assuming you mean the engine water pump behind the large silver pulley at the top of the front of the engine versus the impellor pump at the front of the crank pulley. I agree with @Albertos that its something with your water pump. It actually sounds like a loose water pump pully as it goes away just as you let off the revs. Rods and bearings don't usually make that type of external metallic noise if they are bad. Hope you find it prior to paying some one to look.

• Baller
Took it to South Austin Marine, they watched the video. and they checked everything, and of all the dumb luck, it never made the noise, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They had it for a week. We put it in the tank, Started it cold, warm, whatever. I came over, and started it, revved it, nada. Classic take your car to the mechanic... !@&%!