New to me boat

inland

So, I sold my 1997 Malibu Sunsetter LX. I'm in the market for a new to me boat. I've found a 2003 Response LXI in great shape with very low hours. Because of our family, we need the walk through open bow and we're limited to about $23-25k.

I'm interested to hear from fellow ballers on potential boat choices. In order of interest, I have the following.

1. Malibu Response LXI, 2003-2006.

2. Ski Nautique 206

3. MC Prostar 197

What say the ballers about the boat decision?

I have actually owned both the 206 and a 197. As far as the wakes are concerned, I feel that the 197 was hands down better and as good as any boat I have skied behind. There will be a bit of debate on that statement but mine had a 1:1 transmission and I feel that it's wake was significantly better than any of the TT boats. The 206 wake felt large/firm at -15 and -22, but was awesome at -28 and shorter.

For clarification, I have skied both of these boats from 30 mph @-15 through 36 mph @-35.

As for the open bow, the 197 is merely a glorified water shovel with anyone in the bow.

• Baller
There some rlxi in 07 I think that could converted to zo. You could get the boat and convert later. I've seen some pretty good deals on mc 197s.. nationwide craigslist search, maibu response site:craigslist.org

I had a 1998 SNOB, mint condition with 900 hrs and no PP. Decided that the 197 was the way to go for my family with two young kids. Needed walk through bow, more power and ZBOX at least. Found a 2005 197 w/ 1200+ hours in your budget stated range last October. Wake and power is terrific! Still early but no major mechanical issues. Fired it up after 4 months of sleep, not a single puff of blue smoke (MCX motor is solid). Space to move around is way better than what I had. Don't be afraid of 1000+ hours as long as the fiberglass and interior are in good shape. If so good chance mechanical is looked after too.

• Baller

I had an 03 206 and loved it, so did others in my ski club. It pulled like a tank; tracked great; was well built; and the wake was indistinguishable from a 196 (imo) once the rope hit 28 off on down the line. It also had a very good trick wake. The biggest knock on it was wake size for slower/lighter skiers. One girl in my club weighed about 95 pounds and skied 26-28 mph and she complained about the wake. None of the shortline skiers had any complaints.

@6balls yep that's me, looking forward to a huge ski upgrade and a well taken care of boat that will last! New depth gauge, new rub rail, fresh steering wheel and some Armor-All.... I'm ready for summer. You and JR'd be proud. If ever in the Pacific NW, look me up for a tow.....

BTW, our club boat is a Txi..... Good, but more $$, same family space and not a sharp looking as the 197 (obviously subjective).

If you can find a Malibu Sunsetter LXi, I'd give it a serious look. You mention you have a family and this is a great family boat with an awesome wake. It's almost 22' long and 6 or 8 inches wider than the Response so it has tons of room inside but has an awesome wake. The wake is way better than a MC 190 and if you run the boat low on fuel (1/4 tank or less) the wake gets downright awesome.

Speaking of new to me boats, I'm in the process of puting a deposit down on a 2006 sn 196 that just came up on ski-it-again. Bob Pickett who skis with the Ski Paradise club in FL is selling it. I don't mean to offend Bob by asking this question, but just trying to be a prudent boat buyer, and I am not in FL to look at the boT myself. It is listed as "like new", so wondering if any of you know Bob and the boat, and could help me verify that. Bob doesn't use BOS, but hoping some of the other Ski Paradise members do.

@GroovyGrant‌ I agree on the Sunsetter LXI. They are not easy to find. They are only 1/2" wider than the Response LXi but they are 14" longer.

I did go look at the 2006 RLXI. It's a pretty nice boat. Not in the condition I expected to see with 163 hours, but not bad in any case. I'll know where this is headed in the next few days.

I'm a 15' offer and ski from 30 mph to 34 mph, and skied several sets behind all three.

My vote for ski wake: (1) LXI, (2) 197, (3) 206. (my wife skis 30 mph -15' and will not ski behind the 206 because of how firm the wake is.)

The LXI wake is large at slower speeds (30 mph), but very soft. LXI also feels the roomiest of the three, so if family, space, and large bodies of water are in your weekends on the water I'd say LXI is the best for you and your family.

But it sounds like you are a much better skier than I, so the wake at -15' may not matter that much to you with the other boats.

The 206 is the best tracking boat of the three. (though I've only been behind the wheel of the LXI for one set.) The kid that owns the 206 skis 36mph into 35' and he really likes the wake.

I do like the sleek lines of the 197, and like how there is storage under the rear seat. You can also level the rear seat with the ski locker and make a sun pad for those to relax on. Felt like the 190 and 197 wakes were very much the same at my speeds and lengths. Boat handled well, but if you have more than two people aboard, the weight up front does make the bow heavier and easier to take on water.

Thanks @joeprunc!

I'll let you know what I think after a few sets. I should be picking it up on Wednesday night pending a few issues with the sellers loan, but won't get much time behind it until after next week due to work and travel associated with said work.

I must say that I'm pretty excited to spend time behind a boat that ski's much better than my old Sunsetter LX.

@inland Ahh that is you on the other site too. Too bad this thread isn't 28 pages like the other ;). It looks like a beautiful boat you have lined up I think you and the family will really enjoy it! One thing I'd recommend is keep that black section of the gunnel out of the sun, or waxed regularly. I do agree with you and think it would look better without the tower, but if you are out with the family it is really nice to have stuff strapped to it instead of on the floor. But I'm not a skier that needs ever bit of weight savings, if I'm on the water I'm happy. I'd keep the wedge, who knows when your little ones will want to wakeboard, you could always remove it for the time being and keep it in the garage.

I wish I could convince my CFO for a boat upgrade.

Thanks, @Joeprunc. I agree with you on the black. It will be waxed regularly. My boat lives on a covered hoist in the summer, so it will have some exposure. I'm just hoping that I can stay on top of it enough to keep it clean. I'm planning on pulling it in July for a mid season wax.

I also plan to keep the wedge although it has been removed from the boat. I'm going to keep the tower for the first season and see what the wife thinks. I'm sure she'll enjoy the bimini, but for me, I need no stinking tower.

• Baller

I have a 2003 SN 206 with PP Star Gazer. I slalom at 34 mph from -15 to -35 without issue. Some of my buddies with more slalom specific boats (ie 197, 196, etc) not a more significant bump at 15 and 22 off. I would say I notice it too, but it is a softer bump than the others. At slower speeds, the wake is definitely larger for my wife than some of the TSC1 hulls she gets to ski behind (but TSC1 is a tough hull to beat) For board sports, we use fat sacs to augment the wake. The top wakeboarder on our lake loves it. My wife is a barefooter and the boom extension is not necessary to get her out of the spray. We had a neighbor surf behind (but this was not a situation of safe distribution of weight) and has never pulled a tube.

The extra space is great for our family (3 sons). So, while it is not the perfect slalom boat, it is the perfect boat for our family.

Having skied behind many different 197s, I would say the bump at -15 can be pretty hard, but it is small. Skis great 22 and shorter.

Have not skied the Malibu.

@Wish....thanks!

I love the boat! The improvement over the Sunsetter LX is pretty impressive. Skied tonight and the -22 wake on this boat feels like the -15 on the old boat. The pull is much more smooth, too. I'm pretty happy with the purchase and for what I paid, I don't think I could have done better. I've got 5 sets in, free skiing only because our course isn't in yet, and I'm super happy with it.