DFT

mbabiash

• Baller

@mbabiash‌ If you can move your rear binding forward (closer to the front binding) without moving the front binding, that can tame the on-side a bit without affecting the perfect on-side at all. If you have this option, try it before touching the fin.

More DFT will make the ski over-turn the on-side even more. Less DFT will tame the on-side with less reduction of off-side performance than adding depth will cause. If you go back .005" and add .003" of length, you can calm down the on-side without losing your off-side performance.

• Baller

@mbabiash‌ Sometimes it helps if you can reason your own way through it. One major reason your on-side is different from your off-side is that your rear leg is more able to force the tail of the ski around the finish of the on-side turn due to your asymmetric stance on the ski.

Moving the rear boot forward gives the rear leg less leverage to overwhelm the fin's traction while having very little effect on the off-side turn (if anything it helps the off-side a tiny amount by making it a bit easier to get over your front foot).

Similarly, you can tame an overly aggressive on-side by moving the fin back (less DFT). This gives the tail a bit more leverage to resist rear leg action during the on-side. However, moving the fin back moves the leading edge of the fin further back too, so similar to reducing fin length, it will increase the effort necessary to engage tip, especially on the off-side. Adding some length will restore the off-side tip feel you currently like. As an added bonus, the increased FL also increases fin area which further slows down the on-side a little more.

Less DFT also causes more of the ski to be in the water. This moves the center of pressure forward relative to the ski's tipping point which can actually make off-side turns easier, but it is balanced against how much the increased fin area makes them harder.

The net result is that it should be harder to over-turn your on-side and about the same to turn your off-side. More ski in the water also means you can expect higher loads and more acceleration while cutting which is more demanding on your technique in general and your stack in particular. In fact all of this depends on you having pretty consistent skiing technique.

• Baller

If I understand right, you probably have too much tip, your off side is great so probably your onside is very slow and you brake at the waist because the ski does not come under the rope fast enough. you think that it overturns because it makes you break. If your ski is a Radar, there are few fin settings suggestions, use one that is factory or close to factory, from what you have now I think you should decrease length and add some depth.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your ski!

• Baller
Any chance you're breaking at the waist on your on side because you're running late and cranking the turn? I've caught myself doing that. Off side felt great but I wasn't generating any angle so I was having to make a fast edge change on the on side turn. Aka lots of bad things happening and the on side turn wasn't the root cause.