About the Edge Change

ozski

• Baller
Assuming everything leading up to the point of edge change is technically correct then is it wrong to assume the edge change will just flow into the preturn / turn? I'm not concerned here about long line skiing as much as -32 and shorter. For me the edge change is not something I'm ever conscious of or attempting to work on - I've always thought of it as something that should take care of itself if everything else is sorted. Thoughts?

• Baller
You do hear a few comments and I'm not saying they are good or bad, right or wrong - Faster edge change, you need to work on your edge change, earlier edge change, later edge change, smoother edge change. I can work on stack, handle control, gates, being centered, leading arm pressure, staying open, even straighter legs but the few times I have made a conscious effort to mess with edge change (speed not place) ....... Well in skiing terms it hits the fan and gets messy. More advanced skiers might have some thoughts on this I hope.

• Administrators
@ozski‌ if you are skiing past 28 off and have good body position when you switch edges is important. Putting effort into switching faster may be counterproductive. Edge change is a transition not an abrupt move.

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton is both right and unhelpful! I feel the same way -- if I am managing line tension and direction correctly, the boat causes the edge change. Some days when I am not skiing as well I find myself initiating the change and it is a very different type of skiing. Can be done, but suboptimal.