Adding a tongue to a binding

ForrestGump

• Baller

So I had a breakthrough last evening. After going to hard shell bindings 3 or 4 years ago, I've struggled to find how to ride the ski on my offside. I've tried different binding systems and settled on the reflex 18 months ago as the best for me. But I've still not found the way to come off the 2nd wake, let the ski flow out, rotate, and then come under the line like I want. I've been finding that I want to move in and the ski isn't ready and it ends up behind me. You can do that at 22 and 28 and even 32. But at 35, it starts getting more difficult to get away with that. My thought process lately is that I wanted to find a set up that allowed the ski to do everything it's doing now, but engage the tip sooner and harder into my toe side.

Over the last year I've also heard different people say the same thing when watching me.... "Do you feel that bobble the ski makes at the exit of 2/4?" Different skis. Different tuning. They say it's still there. Late last summer I skied with KLP and he ended up stuffing neoprene in between my liner and shell to take up the volume and it got a lot better. So this year I've watched Mike Munn and Jeff Greathouse both sticking what amounts to a hockey skate boot tongue inside their shell on top of their liner. Last night I borrowed one from Jeff and went out. It turned out to be an eye opening set. You could definitely tell that the stiffness of the binding shell in forward/back flexion increased as I rolled out for the gate. And I knew something would be better as I rolled in for the gate, felt my core move ahead and then the ski catch up and go under the line and set me up with a lot, lot, lot of angle. But at 2(my first toe side turn), it was so surprisingly good that I had time to laugh, look at Jeff in the boat, scream at him as the ski came under the rope, then continue on through the pass. The subsequent pass was even better. Then I started to push the ski to find it's limits on how hard I could move it out and how aggressive I could get with my ankles, knees, and hips to bring it back in. The ski would just set more angle, roll edge to edge with more authority, flow out, and then when it was time to go the other way, it went.

Now, I'm not saying everyone should rush out and stick a tongue inside their binding shells. I guess it's human nature that if you say ski with a straighter leg, there are those who will attempt to strap a 2x4 to their back leg. lol But adding a $7 piece of plastic made quite a big difference in my skiing and is a super easy try to see if it helps.

• Baller_
I've had differant liners in my hard shells over the last 10+ yrs do to the wear. I have not tried any of the $$$$ heat molded type just the true roller blade kind. Had a few without ridged tongues and did not like them for reasons youve stated so I agree. I like the idea if giving stuff a go. I do think some of this comes from the flexable travel forward from the boot itself. So I think it's a combination of things but great and cheap idea for a possible solution.

• Baller
@ShaneH with his tongue in the front boot? I could see that. Would be an improvement in his form for sure! Everyone was telling him to stand taller last fall. At least it might stop that compressed squeezing his cheeks thing that he pushes!..........................: ) Just kidding!!

• Baller

I know lots of skiers here in the NW that use the reflex tongue we sew them on top of the reflex liner soft tongue the goode ps the lower stop forward movement after a point where the reflex does not have a stopping point.

gives you a little more tip pressure and helps the falling out the back feeling