Radar Strada binding questions, recs

phillips

I picked up a 2012 HO Coef X SL this winter and looking for binding options now that skiing is only a calendar page away. I would consider some other options (Goode shells, but not at new pricing, possibly Connelly Stealth), but have kinda zeroed in on the Stradas as a good option. Mostly because they are reportedly very comfortable, responsive, and if you can fine 2012/13 models in the correct size and mounting plate, are priced right.

This is part of the problem, not having tried them on in person, I'm wondering how they run compared to shoe size? I wear 10.5 in most shoes, 11 in Asics running shoes (just shopped for those recently). Can't seem to find size 11 in the attractively priced last years stuff. I can find 10 and some 12. I recall reading that it's good to leave them a little on the loose side anyway so they will release if needed, but don't want them to be so loose my feet are sloppy inside, defeating the design aspect of making the ski react, etc...

Any tips in how these fit with the intuition liners is appreciated. Or other suggestions, welcomed also.

Thanks.

• Baller
I wear 12 in just about every shoe and stradas. 11 would probably work the best if you are 10.5. A 10 could work, but you might be making them feel tight like rubber boots and not enjoy the comfort they provide.

• Baller
@phillips Not that I could really add anything more once you've got the word from @ChrisRossi but....per your comment on wanting them loose....not so much....you need to have the liners "snug" to your feet (heat forming them does the trick) because the liners themselves release from the shells when you do release. The looseness is at the laces, i.e. you don't want them too tight as to impede the release of the liners.

• Baller

Second the size 11's. I'm a size 10 1/2 and 11,s have worked fine for me. Had the same problem finding 11,s at a good prize. Found one at Barts and another at liquidators site. Both had the way wrong plates, but I use the sequence plate so it didn't matter. $270 and 3 months of searching for the bundle.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

I only read the first couple posts in this thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating what someone has already said. I'd recommend you need to find size 11's somewhere. I'm still using a pair of RS-1s (predecessor to the Strada binding) that I'm taking into my 3rd summer. I wear anywhere from an 11.5 to a 12.5 running shoe. When I started with a size 12 RS-1 things were tight so I took out the insole. Over the last couple summers they've actually stretched to the point that I've put a thicker insole in and they are as good as new.

Probably the best endorsement I can give these bindings is that I've been in your position lurking on Ski-It-Again, and am now in possession of 4 full sets of them in my size (2xRS-1 sets and 2xStrada sets). I have my bindings ready for at least the next decade...

Wow, thanks for the replies thus far. Could not get on here during work today so got even more than expected when I did get back on later. I'm glad I asked because I was close to buying a set of the 12's to get the clearance price and would have regretted them being too large in the end. @chef23, do you have a matching set of size 11 boots/plates? I may drop you a separate note about that or let me know... And will keep the search on for 11's for now.

In an interesting twist, while looking for the Stradas in my size tonight, I came across a set of new (last year's) Connelly Stealth's that are in the correct size and LFF orientation that would work out to be the same price as a set of new Vapors (current strada). Had not looked at the Stealths too closely due to the normal list price, but it's intriguing now. I realize I would also need their adapter plate or make my own version to use the anchors in the ski, adding some cost, but do so like the thought of 2 boots fixed to a single release mechanism, and at an affordable price. What worries me is the boots themselves, they just look so tall and rigid, but I understand that creates the increased control, etc. Anyone have first hand knowledge of Stealth's or would I need to start a new post to pickup those folks? For instance, do they get stinky from summertime lake water since you can't pull the liners out?

Thanks again.

• Baller

I wear a 9 1/2 or 10 running shoe and a 10 Strada. You want your big toe to just touch when standing. It will not be a factor when skiing.

I recommend trying them on with a very thin dress sock if you are at your local pro shop. This way your foot will slide in easier.

@chef23, I was thinking that only a left would not be of much help, but believe it or not my online searching today led me to last year's right boot in size 11, and I think it's even on a rear plate, which is what I would need. That place did not have any lefts, so your supplement may make a pair if you can part with one. Just curious if it is new/never worn, and what year yours are? I think they had one in 2013 (all black) as well as a 2012 when they had the silver check mark on the sides. I'm still fairly new to this forum, but will look for an email or PM if better to ask more and what you want for yours - Thanks.

Still curious about the Stealths as found a good price on that setup also, but guessing I'll need to start another thread for that to get replies, and the Strada's would still be my first choice to keep it simple and cheaper.