How long does it take you to get back into your groove after winter?

Waternut

• Baller
Just curious how long it really takes people to get back to normal so I have more of a baseline for expectations. I know my first two sets I was just happy to be back on the water but I only ran my opening pass 2-3 times in 2 sets. The next two were better but regaining the feel especially on a new ski is tough. I would like to be running a few balls short of my toughest pass (not my PB on my toughest pass) next time I go out but not sure if that is setting the bar a little too high this early in the season.

• Baller_

Starting back after long layoff using a new ski? Cardinal Sin #1.

Shortening to within a line length of "normal" within a few sets after a layoff? Cardinal Sin #2.

After the 4 month winter layoff, I normally spend a month of back to backs on my first 2 passes. It is typically 2 months before I shorten to the pass I normally make in a tournament.

Focus on fundamentals and conditioning early will pay big benefits in July/Aug. Trying to "get back to normal" too soon will reinforce bad habits and the results will show.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
I run 22 And 28 for the first month and then. 28 and 32 for a couple of weeks and then start taking shots at 35. Normally run 4 & 5 at 35 run it about every third time. So like others about two months. Thats why it is important to get back on the water as soon as the ice clears

• Baller
"Back in the groove" as in skiing with sound technique, or as in getting close to PB territory? If the water is early spring cold I know I can't be thinking anything close to PB. But I can be groov'n if my movements are sound.

• Baller
I should have put forever. I though the poll meant feeling normal on my ski again not getting back to my hardest line length. I usually don't shorten for nearly a month and then maybe just one line length. Wish me luck because this year I am committing cardinal sin #1- new ski (and binding setup).

• Baller
I agree with @pat m. I feel more normal on my ski after 6-10 sets, but it can take a little while (month or so) before I get to my hardest line length (32 and 35). After reading some of the other posts, I may have to rethink my strategy a bit and see how it affects my total scores.

• Baller

Fwiw, if I had created this poll, 10 and under would have been the lowest choice. I can't imagine anyone can feel near 100% after a long layoff followed by just a few sets. Then I would have offered decades:

<=10

11-20

21-30

31-40

41-50

51-60

> 60

And I would have chosen 41-50. About 8 weeks at about 6 sets a week seems to get me there.

• Baller
I think one important item that may skew the poll is this: what type and how intense of a workout regimen do you keep in the offseason. I know that for me I train fairly intensely - and I am generally not that sore after my first set of the season. Thank you pull-ups/pushups/squats and plyometrics!

• Baller
If I head down south in the off season I usually shorten the rope which I know I shouldn't do. Generally (this year was different because I changed bindings in the fall) I can run into my hardest pass pretty quickly. When we start skiing back home I usually take 6-10 sets running my first two passes before shortening deeper.

• Baller
I can remember thinking to myself am I ever going to get back to last years form? This happened early on in my skiing before I had the understanding of the physics and techniques required. I was just doing. The more you know (and have implemented) the quicker you will come back. I take my first 4-8 sets to just run my opening pass. This helps me get back into my groove AND more importantly, does not get me overly sore. Take the first month of your skiing and work on technique. Do not worry about buoy count for this month. This is your time to implement new techniques for your upcoming season. I would strongly suggest skiing with a coach in the very early stages of your year (earlier the better) so that you can get a few new techniques to focus on. Also and this is super important, listen to your body during this month. If you are really sore, do not ski. You are not in ski shape and can really set back your year by not listening to your fatigued body.

• Baller
It usually takes me a month (8-10 sets) to get back to where I finished last season. My biggest problem is maintaining summer practice consistency in the spring - when finding a ski partner is sometimes fleeting. Right now I have two slalom sets in for the year, and that was two weeks ago.

• Baller
After a 6 month layoff, we typically start skiing the last weekend of April in 50 degree water. Typically, I don't ever hit my stride until the water warms up into at least the mid 60's, which is usually middle to late May. I usually don't run my hardest full pass until late June, when the water is in the high 60's or low 70's.

• Baller_
Well, the plan was ski through the winter and not have down time. Used to take Nov Dec off just because of life getting in the way. This year was different, so many things went right that skiing increased to levels more then during the summer months. Even extended that up through Feb. Then life got in the got in the way with a stupid cold that lasted juuuust long enough to turn into broncictis which the spring pollen DUMP in Florida has extended to pressent day. Lots of glass warm days unused. Skiing has dropped off so much that I'm back to opener passes. Was running mid way down 38 even after Christmas. Now it feel like such a long long way off and that I'll never get that back in time. So much for the ski though the winter plan. Will take above advise though and listen to my body and skills and not push to the point of potential injury.

• Baller

Free ski for two weeks, followed by around two weeks of 15 off only. If I spend enough time conditioning I get back into my groove pretty quick, usually in a couple of weeks after that. It takes me a little longer to get back into the groove in tricks. If I can get to 32off before the water hits 70 degrees I am happy. That usually happens in late May. Hope to start skiing in the next week or two. Waiting for Lake Latonka to fill up.

• Baller

typically in years past I would stay at my opening pass (28) until its automatic in all conditions. this year I'm planning on doing the same but when it's time to start shortening I'm going to run a few 28 and then finish the set of with 32 until I can run it every time. then on my next set, I'm thinking that I might just open at my second line length (32) and run that until its automatic. once I can do that, then I feel like I have a better shot at running my next pass sooner. hope it works, because I wanna start hammering 35 again!

Steve