Slalom Fin Protectors

Tomcfitz

• Baller

So I was bored in class, and decided to CAD up a slalom fin cover in solidworks. I sent the design to a 3d printing service.

Anyway, you can buy them from the link below. I don't make any profit from the sales, and if you guys want, I can add in a logo of your choosing.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/TFitzgerald

But it does make me curious: what do you guys use to protect your fin?

• Baller_
I'm with @Fatroll. Without a doubt a great design. It does not utilize the fin to hold it on in any way shape or form. The fin is completely suspended inside the shaped tube, wing and all. Nice padding to protect the contact with the ski and brutally tough. The price cant be beat. Never go anywhere without my finfirkin. Bazar name...great product.

I use the card board tube from a carpet roll. I cut a piece to the size I need. Some times I insert over a ski sock other times I slide over the ski and insert ski in the bag/tube. Does not cost anything and won't scratch.

• Baller
I use a firkin. I've had one of them crack. Not sure what happened to it. Possible, I suppose, that someone stepped on it. Still, like the design. Had used a wooden fin block and had two fins bent in the block because it relies on the fin to protect the fin.

• Baller

I had some issues with the felt as well on the fin firkin. One side was coming off and getting glue all over my ski. The other side just wasn't large enough to cover. I made the swap to some hydroturf or blacktip traction pad, added a little piece up front, and it's been great. I did have a friend jam it on my ski a little too far which cracked it but it still serves it's purpose. Something to consider @firkinguy. Awesome buy either way though!

@Tomcfitz Good to see you coming up with new stuff. We need people like you. In this case, there are already a lot of really good options for really cheap. Might be cool for the person looking for personal logos or monograms though.

• Baller

Firkin Fin!!!!

I emailed him asking if the firkin would fit over a ski sock. His response?? He went and found a ski like mine and a ski sock.....and custom made one!! He sent it to me saying, "if you don't like it, you don't have to pay me". Needless to say, it fit great.....and now I'm a huge fan!!!!

• Baller_

Dang! @Bishop8950 gave me a thumbs down! whats up with that?

We do have a few of the finFirkin units around, Michele has one for her ski and Steve-O for his. For me though it is hard to stretch out and loosen up on a finFirkin before I ski, it just don't roll right.

I use the grid daily. I train a ton of cardio running, biking, and swimming and the grid is the best there is for rolling out before and esspecially after a hard effort. I am sure I would be always in pain with out it. Now I am going out to see if it fits over my ski in the bag as that is a great idea

@Tomcfitz‌

How is this guard secured to the ski, interference fit? I have the attached and it is a bit of a trick to getting the fin in the slot because of the strong interference fit. I like this style but with a slightly wider slot.

http://www.perfski.com/Waterskis/Waterski-Accessories/Kepchia-ABS-Fin-Protector.html?CFID=22429707&CFTOKEN=feb93827843302da-9869095C-5056-8800-783EA4841463E37F

• Baller

I've got just about every fin protector ever sold. The one I keep going back to is by Reflex. It's not the cheapest, but it protects the whole tail of the ski, it protects the fin and wing from all angles, it is soft enough to never mark the ski, and it's really light.

http://reflexwaterskiusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/EVA-Water-Ski-Fin-Protector-700x600.jpg

• Baller
A testament to the Fin Firkin, I recently backed over a ski with the Firkin in place. The ski is history, broken just in front of the fin. The Firkin did crack as well but the fin was totally protected and now in use on another ski.

• Baller
Fin Firkin is the way to go.....I was at Firkin International the other night and got to see some of the product development going on daily. Due to a bet I also received the first floating Firkin signed by the CEO. Since his injury all of his efforts have been in his products and maintaining a Level 9 smartass rating. Now with a floating Firkin his sales tactics of kicking Firkins off the dock are useless and the Board of Directors will be raising the price a little to offset the decline in repeat customers.

• Baller
One of the guys I ski with accidentally left his fin firkin on his ski before a set. He got up and made it around the turn island three times, falling on his pull out for the gates each time. He finally got back on the boat and noticed. It had stayed on his ski. He did lose his firkin about a month later when he dropped it in the lake. His new one has a special warning label to help encourage removal before skiing.

• Baller

@mcvoska finfirkin is a piece of plastic pipe ingeniously molded to fit the tail of the ski protecting without touching the fin or fin clump. This is very good because you can not push the fin protector against the fin and also let the fin/clump area to dry.

I’m not sure if a printed one can be as durable as the plastic pipe.

Where are you? If you are in Europe I can send you one, (I have a few) without worrying about import taxes.

• Baller

Has anyone used the finfirkin with the CG fin? I’m roughly familiar with the finfirkin, as in, I’ve seen it on people’s skis, but am wondering how it fits with the lower wing on the CG.

I’m finding the lower wing doesn’t like all fin protectors