Reflex boot for 404 release

Chef23

• Baller

I need a left size 10 boot for a 404 release. I seem to remember someone posting about buying a boot and flipping the block on the back. Will this work with the boots from Reflex or only the ones from Masterline.

I do have a left boot size 8 for the 404 release if anyone needs one.

• Baller

@Chef23‌ I make a block of plastic and bolt it to the heel of the boot to adapt my shells to the Reflex setup. I place the block to give the right release tension and look similar to the stock part. I have seen others use just bolts with big locknuts. There is a reasonable amount of fine adjustment in a Reflex - the flex difference in my boot between warm and cold has a bigger effect.

This applies to the standard old Reflex or FM system. If the 404 uses a different hold down system then in Rosannadanna's words "nevermind".

PM me if you want to experiment. I have a couple of lff shells floating around.

Eric

• Baller

@Chef23‌ you can use a grinder such as Dremel or you can use a drill to take out the rivets, but whatever you use have a wet sponge next to you to cool down the rivets to avoid burning the plastic which will end up with larger holes and it might destroy the boot. I personally have made a block out of Teflon that is very durable and after five years is still works great! Good luck!

Use longer rivets than what look long enough.

• Baller

@BraceMaker‌ Measure? TLAR. If the fit wasn't right I made thicker blocks to fine adjust the release tension. Again, my shells are quite soft and the deformation of the shells was the largest factor in release performance.

Eric

• Baller
What are people's thoughts about the yellow release vs the new black ones. I have had a couple of folks tell me I should change out the release. For my son that means two new releases as I have a slalom set up and a trick set up. That gets pretty expensive.