Let the University of Iowa Waterski's Season Commence!

Iowa_Ski_Team

• Baller
That Moomba Boomerang at Iowa was fun...many thanks to the "Fat Cat" aka Brett for initial funding. Big carb motor, tiny little boat built on the cheap, nice wake. Riot to drive, nice to ski, tracking a little tough with aggressive short-liners. Was better than our puke yellow/brown '82 stars and stripes with 2000 hrs...but we were thankful for her as well back in the day. I went from 15 off 34 thru 32 off 36 behind that beast during my time at Iowa.

Yep, she may have fallen from her former beauty but she still ran, could pull skiers, and was very nice to have for some dirty work like putting the course in that we wouldn't have wanted to do with the 09 Pro Star. We had the Pro Star on Campus today advertising our spring recruitment meetings tonight and tomorrow, hoping for a big turnout!

As a team we like to double up the recruitment efforts because while significantly more people join in the fall it is still a busy time and especially so for freshmen trying to figure out college life. Every fall, shortly before the tournaments start up, we will typically have our boat on the walkway in front of the business building two days in a row advertising new member meetings and again in the spring once we take the boat out of storage and the weather starts warming up.

That's an interesting thought but currently we do not. We send out a mass email to all University of Iowa email accounts that they receive a day or two before our new member meetings, we also get a permit to have our boat on the T. Anne Cleary walkway for 2-4 hours both meeting days where we hand out flyers to the students walking through.

• Baller
I would think it would be pretty easy to recruit with a combination of the boat and pictures of what the tournaments are like. Back in the long-ago '90s, the idea of 200 college kids hanging out at a lake by day and partying in a tent city by night was a pretty easy sale. It sure beat the hell out of the golf team.

• Baller
@Iowa_Ski_Team‌, I completely agree. I think one of the biggest issues a college team faces is keeping the women's team happy with men's team's behavior. Never an easy task. We sure had fun though. Nevertheless, we did have a number of ski team marriages (no shotgun weddings) and I think all are still going strong, mine included.

@MS, we've been practicing for over a week now, our problem is that the water level isn't high enough at our marina launch to put our boat (or course) in the water so just open water slalom and jump. Fortunately all you need for trick is water. Thank goodness the Coralville Reservoir has 800 boat ramps on it!

@BlueSki, I don't think it's as much keeping the women's team happy with the men's behavior as much as just getting them on the team. Our new member meetings earned us 6+ new members (more than are graduating which is nice) but more men than women. I doubt the women who do join are complaining much though, good ratio for them.