Malibu upholstery skins

• Baller

I recently redid the upholstery in my 95 Malibu response and wanted to give a shout out to Chee Moua for his excellent service and craftsmanship! when I started looking into doing this project I checked with Malibu about ordering skins for my 95 but they don't do the older boats any longer so I started doing some research and found out Chee came highly recommended on the Malibu crew web site. come to find out Chee has been doing Malibu's work out of Merced for many years. I was able to get his email address (Souluckmoua@yahoo.com) I contacted him for a quote and quickly got an answer back. he asked for my VIN number and what pieces that I wanted to replace. I was in need of a complete kit for a closed bow. he quickly responded with a quote of 1100 dollars delivered to my home. naturally I was flabbergasted because everyone around here wanted anywhere from 2800 to 3800 so I quickly responded before he changed his mind. Haha! so anyways it took approximately 3 weeks from the time I ordered till it was delivered at my house and he lost a portion of that time waiting on the the embroiderer to embroider the Malibu emblem on the site coming panels. I recently got the boat back on the water in all the comments have been wow it looks just like brand new from the factory. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome! here is a picture. I will try to get a couple more today to post.

Steve

• Baller
yeah Chi does amazing work! I had to send one skin back because I had some loose stitching which was probably from me. yesterday a brand new skin showed up on my doorstep. naturally I was pleasantly surprised because I figured I'd get my other skin back which would have been fine by me but he replaced it with a brand new one. can't say enough good things about him!

• Baller
@Steven Haines @PurdueSkier I am curious about the materials that Chee used. Did he use the older / smooth (and not so tough) materials that Malibu used to use, or is it the newer/"grained"/tougher material that Malibu uses today? I have a 2001 which is going to need redoing at some point soon and am wondering what I would get...

• Baller

@ Lieutenant Dan, the material he used his very thick, I believe it's the new type of material. I'll attach a photo of the material.

@DTM 8119, yes I installed it myself. I got a couple quotes from upholstery shops around my home. they wanted anywhere from $1400.00 to 2800.00 to install them

• Baller

@Lieutenant Dan Yep, that's basically it. Couple things I learned.

I used a hand steamer like the "shark-garment-care-steamer". It worked really well to heat up and stretch the skins. You have to use something to heat them up, or you will never get the corners to come out right. I bought an upholstery pneumatic stapler and S.S. staples. It was well worth it. When doing the entire boat, there are a ton of staples. The staplers that are made for upholstery are narrower and longer where the staples come out, so they can get into tighter spaces. Not a big deal for most of the seats, but helpful on some. The biggest thing I didnt know was that most of the skins (at least on my boat) have a "tab" in the middle. The foam is usually in two pieces and the tab goes between them and folds under one. So you have to pull half of the foam off, line everything up, put the tab in place, staple it down, put the foam back on, the pull the corners down, flip the seat over, and stretch and staple. Some of the big pieces were a two or three person job. Engine cover was interesting, but turned out great. Good luck. I am really glad I did mine.

• Baller

I didn't have to steam mine I just laid mine out in the sun so they got hot enough to work with. I'm not sure where purdue liVes but I'm in southern california so that could be the difference.

be ready for a lot of stapling! I've used 4000 staples.

texas 6, I'm sure he could do mastercraft but I don't know if he has the patterns, you might have to send him skins.

oh yeah the engine box was fun! the worst part is getting it lined up to lay on the box correctly.