Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Wich side to grind a rudder?

DanE

• Baller

On a 1999 CC Ski Nautique with a 1.23:1 tranny, wich side of the rudder (loooking in direction of travel) is the proper side to grind a bevel in order to create rudder load?

(or wich way to turn the adjustable tab).

@Jody_Seal‌ ?

• Baller_
Looking from the rear grind the port side trailing edge, A nice firm bevel about a 1/4" wide . their is a technique to the grind. I use a 6" grinder and take three long swipes then water test. If you do over grind you can get some neutrality back but dont grind on the opposite side. take a little off the trailing edge. Propellers can effect rudder torque, we see this when changing to three blade or to four and even pitch and diameter change can effect rudder torque.

• Baller

MC and Malibu have LH rotation props, and the starboard trailing edge (right when looking at the back) should be ground. Nautique is RH rotation and the port trailing edge should be ground. MC and 'bu will pull the wheel to the right and Nautique will pull to the left when underway.

(editted to correct the lh vs rh prop info)

• Baller_

OK!!! you guy's need to go back to School!!!

Ski Nautiques turn a "Right" Rotation Propeller! Natural direction is the boat to pull to the left! Just look at your propeller Identification it will read something like 12.5X15.5 1" RR (Right Rotation!)

All Other's have "Left" Rotation Propellers(Mal,Mas, Centurion,ect)! Natural Direction for boat to pull is to the right!!! look at your propeller identification it will read something like 13X13 1.25" L (Left Rotation!)

When grinding rudders always grind to enhance the natural direction of the the propeller rotation. Trying to make a Nautique pull like a left rotating boat only makes the boat perform poorly as far as steering stability is concerned.

Hope this clarify's things!

Thanks Jody. I thought I was going nuts as mine is Centurion with LH rotation and was just going to go check mine to make sure that I was not imagining that. I have not done anything to my rudder and I had always thought that you needed that force or natural tendancy of the boat to turn when you let go of the wheel for it to track better. Is that not the case do I want a more neutral feel on the wheel? Just looking to understand why I would grind my rudder even though I have heard it for years I have never understood it so I left well enough alone.

• Baller

aad930756cdfe6b15a670e81a623e0.jpg60543c5c699585ef40e920e69ccbbb.jpg@Jody_Seal see pics attached of my rudder, 97 SN. This is wrong side isn't it? Sorry I'm easily confused. Has it been grinded or is this factory spec?

Sorry if my photo's are massive, first time I've done it. @mattp what is the optimum pixel size for photo's to be?

• Baller
Any chance I could do the other side just at least to even it up? I realize it will take a little off the overall length, but spending $600 on a new one doesn't appeal at the moment. Will it affect performance significantly?

Here is the factory grind on my old MC 205. You can barely see it. A little goes a long way. The wheel would spin at over 20 mph. Great feel holding it straight at speed. The arrow shows the area where the grind is most obvious, but it runs the length of the starboard trailing edge (remember, it's a MC. So it's set up for a right hand pull at the wheel).

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2804&stc=1&d=1129056132