2014 MasterCraft Prostar

Skident

• Baller

How grippy is the bare floor? I was surprised how relatively slick the textured floor is in my new boat when you take out the carpet.

For looks, on the blue/brown boat with the grey step pads I think it looks better with the carpet in. On the red/silver with black one it looks good both ways.

Two of the carpet snaps are designed for the area directly in front of the pylon. People may vividly remember stepping on those snaps when the carpet is removed. Interestingly, the two sides and back of the carpeting are nicely held in place by the motor box cover. Snaps may not be that necessary for routine use.

I get the feeling that many are suffering from "sticker shock" on these new boats. We are deep into the era of the $50K boat. I have watched people write a check for a $120K wakeboard boat at a boat show while others are shocked at the price of a water ski boat - same motor, equivalent features. It is an interesting cultural take on things...

• Baller
While I agree with @skident that there is definitely tow boat sticker shock, do people share the same shock with tow vehicles? Last week I was at a Ford lot, and they had an F150 in the showroom stickered at $53k. I was shocked:)

• Baller
I don't get why the sticker shock on boats and not vehicles. Not only are we deep into the era of $50k boats, we're not going back. No matter how many people complain about $50k boats, that is the cost basis of getting into a boat now. Nautique isn't going to build the 196 again, MC isn't going to build a cheap boat, Malibu is over $50k now. It is the price we pay. I looked at an F250 powerstroke crewcab the other day which stickered at $72k. We see those all day long on the street, which makes a $60k mastercraft that will have 15 years of life look good considering that F250 will be a throw away in 7 years.

I have a 2104 Malibu TXI on a tandem trailer I will get you in for less than 50. Stereo, Heater, bimini, heated seat, cover, hot water shower, and metallic gel coat. The increased cost of these boats is out of control. Not much changing to warrant the price increase in my opinion. So anyone looking for a 2014 Malibu TXI. Black and white with silver metallic accent, Give me a call available in August.

• Baller

@Skident‌ I think the difference is that in wake boat that you can carry on with your sports with 6 people in the boat and then use it for cruising around afterwards without fear of a foot of chop sinking it. (Or around here people seem to buy them just to cruise around in)

The ski boat is a very specialized boat, limited market and there is only so much folks are willing to pay to drive back and forth in a straight line, especially when some of the nearly 10 year old boats are so good.

Hopefully the weather will warm up and someone will be jumping up and down for the Prostar.

• Baller
All you have to do is look at tournament participation at the local level. It is way lower than back in the 80's. I don't count the Nat's due to different standards. We just ski for fun and exercise now and that is with perfect pass.

• Baller

@Dacon62 Yes! Thank you! Indeed, I think 0% financing is an outright lie and I'd consider it a fraud if I were the relevant law enforcement bureau. The percentage is completely meaningless if it's not off the same price that a guy paying cash would pay. Once you're making $%# up, why even stop at 0? Why not jack up the base price for the non-cash buyer and pretend the interest is negative?

Sorry for the partial thread-jack. Touched a nerve there.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan‌ there is nothing stopping them...

Wall Street never stopped...there were negative interest bonds in '02...Buffet issued them...

Bay Street (Toronto's Wall Street)...There these interest bearing creations, where you essentially paid in installments (called installment receipts)...anyhow, they traded at negative values as the bottom fell out of the operations of the issuer. The holder was obligated to pay the final installment...so, you had to pay the buyer take over the bond. The company was called Fracmaster Ltd.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan‌, @Dacon62‌, guess it depends on how you negotiate it, go in offering to buy cash (bait) settle on a price, then ask to finance (switch)....worked for me. Either way we are all screwed with boat (and auto) prices. @ShaneH‌ is correct, neither is going down....just like the price of gas.

• Baller
It will be interesting to see what happens to all the Prostar promo's in the fall. I actually think that Mastercraft is offering too many color/style combinations. If I'm going to spend 60K for a promo (That's on the low side of what I've been quoted) I sure as heck want the boat to have a color combination I really like. Some of the boats out there for sale, promo and retail, are just OK. Some are just plain ugly, OH my gosh, what were they thinking UGLY!

• Baller
If the manufacturers sales drop enough that will put downward pressure on prices. Worst case scenario is they quit making ski boats. I look at the lakes I ski on, it is mostly wakeboard boats now, and most of the time people are just pulling tubes.