Who's up for reviewing some tape?

Fine409

• Baller

Happy Monday everyone!

Finally got around to uploading some footage from this past Summer.

Just some free skiing on my lake...I usually ski 22 or 28 off. I don't spend much time at all in the course, but hope to change that this year with my portable.

Feel free to critique away and post some advice if you'd like!

• Baller

Hi @dtm8119 takes some effort to get the video and put it out there for critique so well done. My view on free skiing ( when you're ultimately aiming at the course) is to use it to develop your "locked and loaded" position and wake crossing. Done right you should still be leaning away powerfully off the second wake. In your vid you are standing up before the first wake. Looks like you're enjoying the turns rather than focusing on the power move. ( get the power and acceleration right and the turns are even more fun).

• Baller
First thing I notice is that your on a flat ski a lot - Standing up off the wake and riding flat and fast and changing edge late. The result is a bit of drop in hook turn at the (ball). The problem starts earlier (turn in for the gate, angle, stack etc) , I would be interested to hear what others think, looks like your front leg is almost locked straight in the turn? (1-3)

• Administrators
@dtm8119 Generally I think you look very good. Like the other guys, I have to say you are not staying on edge long enough. If you can simply maintain your lean until the center of the wakes you will get a lot wider and able to run a lot more balls.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Not bad at all. But by the time you get to the first wake, you're starting to rise up out of your lean. Carry that farther to centerline. Not pull harder, though. You want to block the pull of the boat all the way through centerline, not add to the pull of the boat.

• Baller

@dtm8119 Nice skiing and with the advice already posted, those improvements will pay dividends in the course. One item I wish I had mastered before running the course is standing correctly on the ski. Jodi Fisher first noticed in my stance and others have reinforced, try to have your hips square to the tip of the ski. In other words, try to have the distance between your right hip and the tip of the ski be the same as the distance of your left hip to the tip of the ski. This will help you be balanced on the ski and the ski will work so much more easier for you. Good luck and have fun!

• Baller

@dtm8119 I think you look nice and smooth, stable and athletic on your ski. While I agree with the advise everyone has given you, often times it's a matter of making the assessment of the most important thing to work on first. Once that adjustment is made, it usually is easier to branch out and work on some of the other issues.

I think @davidp is on the right track. You first most be properly balanced on your ski, not just when you are standing neutral but also when you are trying to be dynamic. If I were you, the thing I would be working on first is correcting your first movement. When you initiate your cut on either side you drop/tilt your shoulders to the inside, rather then staying upright with your upper body while simultaneously getting the ski on edge and leaning to the inside with your lower body. I hope this makes sense and someone else on here could probably explain this concept a little clearer. In order to do this properly, a little ankle bend in that front leg will be required. Once this is completed successfully, it will be much easier to maintain your cut through both wakes as everyone else has pointed out, and to be that dynamic skier you are trying to be.

You know, I may never break any records, but I have had plenty of instruction. So, from a guy who may never even run 15 off, but is still trying, I would like to say this.

1. Kudos for having the guts to put this up in front of some serious skiers (myself exlcluded), and

2. You're pulling up before the first wake (or center wake). Hold your position until the "second wake, i.e., where the wave rolls off the rooster tail on the opposite side). From there, you start your run out to the buoy line and can nail your turn around the ball.

Better at watching than skiing. Good luck.

• Baller
Once you get in the course more often, it will make more sense. You'll be able to judge what works and what doesn't based on where you are coming into the next ball. Once you figure that out, open water becomes the testing phase and the course becomes the proving ground.

• Baller
I would add to bend your front knee slightly in the turn and allow the ski to finish. By waiting to feel the pull (letting the ski finish) before pushing with your legs this will keep the tip from raising up. That will help you keep the angle you got in the turn to carry across the course. Keep it up!