Need a new ski (Rose scented ink is patronizing!)

Tifferific

Hi,

I’ve been skiing forever (been on my ’94 Connelly Concept since it was new)!

Being from Canada, and skiing 2-3 weeks per year, I haven’t progressed much in 20 years.

Been doing the course recreationally at 30mph, 15 off for about 15 years. But its now time to try to progress to 34mph and shorter lines. It’s time to put my old anchor to rest.

Here’s where I’m at:

135lbs, 5’6”

Freeski at 32 mph

Course ski at 30-31 mph (hard to tell behind the folks SeaRay 115Merc)

Husband and I just got a 2000 X5 (95-97 Prostar Hull) - now I’ve got to up my skiing too!

Love my Concept’s deep in the water feel, and smooth turns.

Have tested “Ladies” skis years ago, and the back end would jump out between the buoy and first wake.

Thought I wanted a Radar Lyric (with all it’s patronizing rose scented ink), until I found this forum, and now think it doesn’t sound aggressive enough. Now thinking about a 2013 Prophecy, but I’m a bit concerned it will be too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Baller

If cost not at issue; imo - Mapple 6.0 is an excellent choice.

If possible, schedule an Orlando trip for a few days, get some great coaching, demo skis from Perf Ski (~ $20/ski/day demo fee).

PerfSki will have in inventory almost any ski that will be recommended in subsequent replies to your post.

• Baller
For someone of your level, you want a stable and deep riding platform with predictable roll characteristics to allow you the security to build the mechanics necessary to start bumping the speed up. Three skis come to mind. The first would be the D3 x7. The second would be the Radar Senate/lyric. The third would be the Prophecy. You could reach out to @sethski and use his trynbuy program.

Thanks @Gloersen‌, never even heard of Mapple before now. Checked out their site. Looks interesting. I'd love to get to Florida (being as I'm from freezing Canada), but that's not an option, at least not this year.

@ShaneH You've got me figured out. I'm leaning towards the Prophecy, because I'm kinda stuck on Connelly.

Can anyone comment on the 2014 Lyric (supposed to be quite a redesign over 2013)? I know, such a silly question for someone on a 20 year old ski!

• Baller

There are lots of good skis out there for you. HO has a great line up, D3, Radar, Goode. Look on ski-it-again.com there's some great deals to be had.

Where in Canada are you from? Maybe there is some demo shops in your area?

• Baller

Must admit I'm glad to hear a woman criticize the scented ink. I have some kind of psychological problem with fragrances -- my first act as Supreme Dictator would be to shut down the industry. So realizing that about myself, I assumed I was over-reacting. But I sure did think having Rose-scented ink seemed ridiculous.

Anyhow, lots of good advice above.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! After much research, reading prior forum posts and reviews, and talking to our two local shops ... I think I'm going to go with a 2013 Radar Vice. Seems to be the same shape as a 2014 Vapour, but the cheaper construction materials, so will sit heavier in the water for me (and is half the price)!

Whoops - should have said the Vice is the same shape as the 2013 Strada (not 2014 Vapour).

Figure I'll stick with the Vice till I can get to 34 mph and 28 off. Then I'll reward myself with the newest pink Radar ski, which I'm sure will come with a nice overlay of chocolate flavoured sparkles!!