boat hours and repower

PurdueSkier

• Baller
I am sure this has been discussed before but can't find it. I am looking at purchasing a boat with the plan to repower and ad ZO. I have the info on the repower but The question is what other issues or concerns should I have with a 2500 hour boat? Boat is a 2002 197.

• Baller
The repower is the big one, other than cosmetics, which you can see looking at the boat. Replacing an interior of a boat can be pretty expensive but the interior will either look worn out or it won't. Are you going to drop in Bob Tail or something less of a repower? IIRC a Bob Tail pretty much covers all things mechanical.

I was literally in this boat 3 weeks ago..I picked my boat up dirt (DIRT!) cheap... I bought it with the intention on rebuilding it... I just loved the TSC1 hull. ... I have a 1999 Nautique with the GT-40 with around 1700 hours.... Interior was getting replaced, exterior was getting updated, so I was in a position to do a few things with the motor. Option 1 was to swap with the Excalibur, Option 2 was to rebuild the GT-40... I did some serious searching on the differences between the 2.... I had test driven the Excal, loved the upgrades that I could do to that engine... but loved the low end on the GT-40. I called my engine guy and started chatting with him about the situation. He has built some beautiful engines for me before.... From stock to wild... His opinion was to rebuild the GT-40 with a bit more "punch" to it. I pulled the trigger. We went through 3 cams before I was happy with the "lump," then had the whole thing ported and polished. I'm taking the boat out this coming weekend... first time in the water since the overhaul. Gotta take it out of state as it's still snowing here.

My advice, drive the Excal... then think long and hard about what you want to accomplish from the boat and how much you want to spend.

@DW - The first 2 were just way too lumpy. Think Eliminator Picklefork...it was awful. I believe he just sent my cam over to Comp Cams and had them make me a new one, mine had some wear apparently. So I believe it's stock, but with a fresh grind. I will double check for you

• Baller_
Re-powering a older boat can be financially a ideal way to go especially when the boat is paid for. GT-40/5.8 Ford, GM 5.7 LT1/LTR Marine parts are starting to become NLA and obsolete. late 90's inboards still ski on par with what is on the the market today, a well kept 90's (early 2000's) boat re-powered with today's powerplants can keep skier on the water and in the sport somewhat economical especially when their is a $25K difference between a nice updated older boat and a new one.

• Baller_

One of the the stumbling block's of a re-power and adding Zero Off is working with ZO's ordering policy's. Hopefully after this last go around they figured they need to stock a few units rather then build to order and tell you it will be 4-6 weeks before you get your unit.

• Baller_
@Socalwaterski: thanks, it is very easy to miss the importance of the off idle and low rpm acceleration needs of a tourney boat. You have to stay pretty mild to have a great all around cam.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal, Nice!!! The extra speed would be useful since I do a lot of barefooting. I have the PCM 1:1 tranny. I would assume a new tranny would be needed too unless my current tranny can be attached.. That is good to know that it would work considering the price of a new boat. It would actually be quicker out of the hole than a new boat..