How long season CAN you have at your main ski site(s)?

gsm_peter

• Baller

Season is here defined as number of days when you COULD ski with some stretch (an average calendar year)

- Site is open. Driver available.

- Water (and Air) above 7 C = 45 F. Yes it is a bit chilly but doable for us with a short season.

- Wind waves below 2/3 feet

- Not to much other obstacles (rain, animals, poor water, streem, etc)

• Baller

@oldjeep - I think there are very few that (water) ski in snow (BI -100??)

Air was meant to get some type of base line where most can fit in without being to hard core.

The poll has not to be 100% correct. Feel free to add snow water-ski season occasions.

• Baller
Based on the specified criteria, our home site would be skiable year-round. We have a few neighbors that grew up north of the border that definitely ski year-round. Those from the southern climate opt for 9-10 months of skiing.

• Baller_

Usually late April to early October. I have skied into first week of November and started in mid-March for some warmer years. There are often some polar bear ski events the first week of December and early January, but I am not including those.

This year we will probably start in July. Current ice depth is still nearly a foot and a half.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I put 9 months, which is funny because I live in the same area as @TylerR, but I don't have the duck problem. Really, its the geese taking massive dumps on the jump ramp that becomes an issue for me. Most of December-February in North AL makes getting in water seem pretty dumb - especially this year.

• Baller

Back-back when, the season in New Hampshire and probably other states in the North ran

from when school got out until school stated again. Which was mid-June to early September.

This was in the grade school and high school days, but even the relatively serious skiers

in the area didn't extend that season a lot, unless they went to ski at Cypress Gardens.

Later on, in the college/grad days, we kept pushing the season, especially with jumping,

which can be done relatively 'dry' unless you pass/wreck.

This was on the Connecticut river, and later-later each year. October-November-December,

with the wetsuits of the time, which weren't all that great.

Then, one year, around December 5th, the river froze over early. Uh-oh. Fortunately,

it broke up, as the nearest launch ramp was maybe 20 miles away upriver.

With the coaching advice of a friend, at the same site April or early May, with the river

probably at brrrr 40 degrees or so, I accomplished my first barefoot deepwater start.

That was a big deal back then. Joe Cash may have been the first person to do it.

• Baller

@waternut "could" and "would" are drastically different for the people in the southern states where the water never freezes

Yes fully agree. However the intention was to understand the Ballers availability to ski.

When put Desire into a poll it is (for me at least) more difficult to interpret.