The Hammerhead Slalom Ski by Schnitz

chris_logan

• Baller

Just interested to see ballers thoughts on this one...and if @Horton plans on ever testing one.

From a post by Steve Schnitzer:

"The shape of things to come! The Hammerhead is about to change competitive slalom skiing. This ski is designed to overcome the most common problem 99.999% of all slalom skiers have, only using the rear half of the ski. With a radically different sidecut designed to put 75% of the ski in the water and an edge system unlike anything ever on the market, the Hammerhead is designed to give you the same edging power the top pros utilize. Shaped skis changed the snow ski industry. Here is the first, high end, shaped ski to hit the slalom market. The wide tail gives you extra acceleration out of the buoy and makes up for the surface area taken out of the sidecut. The sidecut is straight from just ahead of the fin block all the way up to the Hammerhead tip. This keeps the entire ski and edging system in contact with the water before and after the wake generating massive angle, acceleration and deceleration. Want to fly with the Eagles and disassociate yourself from the turkeys? Try a HAMMERHEAD today! $3,999.00 blank with fin. Special, limited time introductory offer - $2,999.00."

1495175_10151923290391296_886880209_o.jpg

• Baller

A ski that actively and suddenly engages the front of the ski just before the wake??? My already broken neck needs for that are comparable to my needs for a second wife...

Why on earth do people keep comparing shaped snow skis, designed to flex (a lot) and engage the full sharp metal edge on a solid medium to waterskis?

• Baller

@ral not all alpine skiing is done on a hard surface, snow can be deep and plentiful. things like rocker are new to alpine skis

there is a lot that needs to be sharped and much to learn from the giant that is alpine skiing.

I do think its unprofessional and foolish to publish such a crude image though, but schnitz is well, schnitz! LoL

• Baller

@wtrskior‌, there is lots that Alpine Skiing learned from waterski when in deep and plentiful snow, as proven by Shane McConkey when developing the modern powder ski, by pioneering in skiing with waterskis in the snow, creating skis with reverse sidecut which is exactly the opposite than shaped skis! Some tip and tail spatula is provided in some to make them skiable in hard pack, not for improving their deep snow capabilities.

Sooooo, skis for deep and plentiful and fluid snow are, well, like waterskis. Shaped skis are neither suitable in the water nor in deep snow.

More detailed description:

Reverse Sidecut

Reverse sidecut skis are the fat cousins of parabolic skis in the respect that they’ve got no waist. They’re widest at the waist and taper down at the tips and tails. The idea behind this shape is that they’re not locked into the turn shape dictated by parabolic skis with a definite sidecut. Instead, the middle portion of the ski slides against the snow instead of carving into it, a maneuver called slarving.

With reverse sidecut skis, it's easier to initiate turns and make variable turn shapes instead of the same old arc over and over again. Especially in steeper terrain, the ability to float and slarve a turn to scrub speed has an obvious advantage over the turns prescribed by traditional sidecut skis. Additionally, because the tip and tail are narrower and further off the surface of the snow, they won’t catch on the snow and try and initiate a turn when you don’t want to (a phenomenon called tip hooking). Reverse sidecut skis have a similar drawback to reverse camber skis in that the contact area of the edge while turning is small and they can be unwieldy on hardpack for this reason.

• Baller

@ral‌

I am very familiar with alpine skiing, been on the slopes for over 30 years and worked in the Industry for many years as well. There is little alpine skiing can learn from waterskiing or our technology, they've generally been there, done that.

the reverse sidecut gig is all but gone, there are virtually no manufacturers of skis like that outside a few mom and pop shops.

My comment is not a knock on waterskiing, so dont take it personally. We are but a minnow in an ocean compared to Alpine, and we need to embrace it more as we dont have the $$$ or people to come up with the tech like they do.

I don't think a reverse sidecut waterski will do anything for shortline skiers, but if we look at jumpers, there is virtually no sidecut on them, waterskis rely more on rocker than sidecut IMO.

• Baller

@wtrskior‌, I am very familiar with alpine as well.

All competition waterskis are reverse sidecut. Maybe you were thinking about shaped skis in your comment?

Jump skis have been designed, well, to jump, and to get maximum speed before jumping. They do not turn. They pivot at zero speed.

• Baller

What??? He's copying me!

Actually you guys are way too critical of unusual designs. Kudos to Steve for coming up with something out of the box. Getting the ski to work for you or even for him is certainly not out of the question. Many variables come into play. Steve is a clever enough guy to have found a balance with potential. At least it isn't a dressed up clone from the standard base.

Eric