Spring Workouts

akale15

• Baller

So I decided today that I have sat around and drank too much beer without working a whole lot of it off this winter. Anyone else there with me?! Haha Since starting late is better than not starting at all I need some good workouts to start doing at home before I hit the water. Been doing some at home strength exercises but nothing focused.

What are some exercises y'all do to get prepared for the new ski year?

• Baller
cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio, squat, deadlift, bench, cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio, push ups, pull ups, cleans, cardio, cardio, cardio...It is much easier to improve strength to weight ratio by losing weight than it is by adding muscle. Also, drink a lot of water as most people do not reach their recommended daily intake. 12oz curls are cool, but running a PB is much cooler!

• Baller
Ditto what Rossi said. I've been hitting the gym at least 4 days a week since mid January, doing heavy cardio mixed in with upper and lower body weight training. I've lost 13 lbs so far, with 2 more to go to reach my target, and have toned up beyond what I had hoped for. I've given up the beer (but not martinis), and am hoping for a new PB this summer.

• Baller
@AB, thanks for the advice, I think I have it. Watch video, get disgusted to point where eating is not an option, leave the room running (cardio), and having convulsions (core strength). Don't drink, otherwise beer-goggles could change the usefulness of the video.

• Baller

Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench, BB row, pullups, push prowler, run stairs, repeat.

Question: what do you "cardio" advocates mean by "cardio"? Jogging? Something else? I just don't see how steady-state cardio is going to help you much in a 16 second pass (and steady-state cardio tends to strip rather than build muscle), but staying lean/losing fat is a big plus. High-intensity interval training, sprints, etc., would seem to me to be better for ski training.

• Baller

@jjackkrash‌ - I include lots of cardio because I have had favorable results when I balance strength training with endurance training. I don't think it is for everyone. Besides skiing I am an avid mountain biker and snow skier and I enjoy trail running. I get lots of cardio because I enjoy it, not because I am suffering through it. I have found that I have better 5th and 6th passes when I have been doing more endurance training. But that's me, others will have different results...

I also really don't like gyms, I workout 1hr 3days/wk with a basic weight set in my basement (awesome investment, maybe $150 on CL...). I would rather be out on the trail with friends on my bike than in a gym with a bunch of sweaty old dudes...