Precision Ranch is reborn

Horton

• Baller

How much water could a wind mill conceivably pump?

"For a 10 acre ski lake, using a loss of 6 inches a month, surface area of 435600 square feet, that is a loss of about 1.63 million gallons. With John's pump adding 900 GPM, that's about 30 hours of pumping, or an hour a day every day."

900 GPM for 1/hr a day - vs a lower capacity wind pump but would run all day/night if there were prevailing winds. Sized appropriately it could meet demands - if it saved ~10 grand a year it could pay itself down rapidly.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@BraceMaker. Based on location and the type of soil and ave summer temp, my guess is that the loss rate is much closer to 3 to 4 inches per week. The amount of use is also a huge factor. When we host a all day long tournament in mid July, we will lose a half inch in a single day.

Wind mills and water ski lakes are two items that should not coexist in the same area. LOL

• Baller
Oh my gosh! Remind me to never complain again about Louisiana being humid and wet. I might run my well 20 days per year max. No pumping in the winter at all. May-Sept max. I think the biggest bill for a month was around $60-80. (Don't hate me. The humidity does make for bad hair days. I don't think Horton's 'do would survive it.)

• Administrators

Yes the last inch will be the slowest....

We are not skiing until the lake is full. we spent a crapload of money digging lake and getting the contours correct... we don't want to cut steps in the grade by skiing a few weeks early

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@Skoot1123‌ heck I don't know. all the design work was done before I purchased my lot. from 2 feet deep to the shore I think is 10 to 1 but I'm not really sure.

@Chef23‌ yes we pump every week. We will try to keep the water level within a few inches year round

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@Stevie Boy‌ who ever is on site the day we get to the 8 foot mark. Guess it is not going to be me (I do not care) because my boat will get there a week or so later.

There are 6 owners on the lake so someone will pull the trigger at 7' 11 15/16"

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
Just not the way it works here on the west coast. Everyone has their own boat and agenda... We all do our own thing. Not saying it is a good thing but that is the way it is.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Just got solar for my home in North County San Diego. The ROI for my investment is 4.5 years to pay for the cost to install. After that my electric bill is essentially free. I will be saving $ 550 per month or $ 6,600 per year. Plus Socal rates are expected to go up another 25%. My panels are Axitech made in Germany. Expected output at 25 years at 85% and around 80% at 40 years. Each panel is monitored and optimized for peak output. It would be great to put in a system for the pump and all 6 homes.

• Baller
@uflbret - it all depends on how deep the well is and what the output is. As @horton stated earlier they are pumping 900 gpm. That is a LOT of water. For example - an irrigation pump that is being used in the Midwest to pump 1000 gpm from 200 ft below the earths suface is ~75 hp. I wouldn't be surprised if the pump is 90 hp. Either way - a LOT of KW's!