Precision Ranch is reborn

Horton

• Administrators

Precision Ranch is the new home of BallOfSpray.

The lake has been empty since last summer. We turned on the water last Friday. Below is the "Re-Birth"

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

This is the measuring stick at my dock after about 48 hours. This was yesterday afternoon. I think the middle was a few inches deeper

dd4fefa4e63e8a22218ebafe68e919.jpg

Drop a dime in the can

Congratulations John! It's gotta be a great feeling to see that lake filling up! :). Out of curiosity, do you have an estimate of the time it takes to fill your lake? (Days? Weeks? Month? No clue really)

I think in your place I'd be checking it every other hour ! ;).

Enjoy your first ride and don't forget to document all that!

• Baller
That's pretty impressive for a single day of pumping. When we had our drought down here in Texas a few summers ago, we ran a similar pump non stop for four months and still lost considerable ground to evaporation. That lakes going to ski great John - congrats!

The question is when is it usable. The last foot (to your target fill level) will likely take as long as it takes to get it to a foot or so below the target. However, if the shorelines will take it, you may be able to start skiing it while it tops off.

• Baller
@Horton Congrats to the starting of getting the lake surface were it needs to be. Once it's ready to go I may just have to celebrate by trying some more of that great Mexican food in town. Oh yeah may need to ski also. Maybe @MS could fly in and get a set in before you and thus be skiing before you this year.

• Administrators
the bill for all 6 owners for all the pump electricity and all of the maintenance is about 25k per year total. (math done in my head while driving don't quote me)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

In my past life I sold a ton of panels in Calif. They have tiered elect usage scale. The more you use, the higher the cost per kw. Solar typically won't work for the pump without a battery bank to start the pump. That being said, solar is pretty handy to bank electricity. If your provider allows, during the day your solar would in essence roll the meter backward(banking) and at night when you use the electricity you would use your bank plus some. Over all your plan would be to lower overall kw usage, thus lowering your bill.

thank you goodnight

@Horton now is the time to calculate the volume of water coming out of the pump. You can measure the surface area of what's currently wet and time how long it takes to raise it an inch or two. Some simple math and you'll get your pump capacity. Wait too long (maybe it is already) and you'll have to calculate the dogbone ends, turn islands, etc. The growth in the surface area when the lake is low is negligable to the math.

• Baller
@Horton‌ We test our well output by how long it takes to fill a 55 gal drum. I know that at 900 gal per min. that is only seconds, but I bet you can get close with a stop watch. Never hurts to have a ballpark number. We test ours ever year to make sure that the pump is still at peak performance and to see if we have issues with water supply.

• Baller

Just for grins, this chart seems to reflect my experience with lake evaporation in the southeast.

Was in Bama during the drought of 2005-2007, and we were losing about 6 inches per month during the warmer months.

If you don't get rain, you can use the numbers below along with your lake surface area to rough calculate the volume of water you will need to pump.

For a 10 acre ski lake, using a loss of 6 inches a month, surface area of 435600 square feet, that is a loss of about 1.63 million gallons. With John's pump adding 900 GPM, that's about 30 hours of pumping, or an hour a day every day.

Sound about right?

Pan Evaporation Data for Georgia

NOAA Technical Report NWS 34, Mean Monthly, Seasonal, and Annual Pan Evaporation for the US, R. K. Farnsworth and E. S. Thompson, Dec. 1982

Estimated monthly values for NWS sites (in inches)

Station

J F M A M J J A S O N D Annual

Athens 2.20 2.66 4.16 5.51 6.43 6.64 6.54 6.36 5.06 4.20 2.99 1.17 55.01

Atlanta 2.12 2.73 4.28 5.78 7.03 7.10 7.07 6.70 5.22 4.14 2.89 2.26 57.13

Augusta 2.18 2.75 4.25 5.66 6.27 6.62 6.49 6.31 5.07 4.19 3.00 2.29 55.09

Columbus 2.05 2.66 4.16 5.51 6.76 6.76 6.10 6.16 5.32 4.35 2.77 2.10 54.91

Macon 2.25 2.92 4.64 6.47 7.85 7.67 7.55 7.14 5.83 4.36 3.03 2.45 62.16

Savannah 2.30 2.87 4.76 6.70 7.62 7.51 7.79 6.83 5.67 4.45 3.06 2.60 61.82