Casting the Handle Out

Chris Rossi

• Baller

@wtrskior

"I've been told by a number of different coaches about casting the handle out past centerline at my tougher passes at shorter lines. I'm able to get through -28off pretty consistently but not 32 or 35off at 34mph. I have a strong lean and pull too much too soon or too long I've been told at times . I've had a tough time visualizing this pushing the handle out concept and making it happen consistently."

I am not familiar with this concept. I like to think about being strong to the centerline (middle of the wakes) and then allowing my body to come up and pass the handle while I travel out to the buoy line. Staying connected to the handle with two hands during the pre turn helps to get the body moving forward which helps release the tail of the ski to get the ski rotating before the buoy.

• Administrators
Oooooo I thought this was about throwing the handle to the skier. Personally I am embarrassing with a baseball or football but I can hit a skier square in the forehead with a handle.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I wonder if what they're trying to communicate to you(@wtrskior) is the concept of moving the handle through with two hands and your core engaged as your hips, knees, and ankles transition under you. I've heard it talked about like a golf swing. Never heard it talked about as casting the handle out. Talking about it like that would confuse a lot of people, I think.

• Baller

I have heard this. Quite a few years ago I was skiing with CP. He wanted me to try all sorts of things, one of which was he asked me to push the handle (with two hands on) out in front of me toward the ball as I was leaving the second wake. He said that was something he and others were working on at the time. I tried and tried, but it felt really weird and off balance so we gave up on that and worked on other stuff. Since that time my goal has simply been to stay connected off of the second wake with two hands on and the handle close, low, and in control (light tension). By doing this the handle just travels with me to full width.

In a similar, though somewhat different application of this technique, I had one coach tell me that in my glide for the gate I should push the handle out in front of my belly button prior to turn in. His theory was that we only get as wide as our handle, so I should "bring the handle out as wide as my body". Played with this some too, but also wasn't able to make that work consistently. Again, found myself uncomfortable and off balance. I'm better off to have the handle close to my body (on/forward of my right hip) but not in front of me.

That's all I know about "casting the handle out".