Horton vs MS

Horton

• Administrators

The rumor is that there are 26 inches of ice on @MS’s lake.

My lake is basically dry but 700-900 gallons per minute are being pumped in as of yesterday. Who will ski at home first this year?

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
@MattP No. We spent like 50 bazzillion dollars to re-dig the lake and get the shorelines and slopes right. No one is going to run a boat at Precision until the water level is where it belongs. Unlike @OB I think smooth water is worth a little effort.

Drop a dime in the can

Lake holds like 23 Million gallons of water? thats for 2500 x 250 x 5 ft average depth. At that rate you will be fill in like 17 days at 900 GPM. In 17 days you'll lose say 3 inches to evaporation at these temps so maybe it takes 1 more day to make up for that. You should be skiing in 18 days and there will still be a shit load of ice in 18 days if they are currently at 26" If your average is 6 ft you are closer to 23 days, if your lake is only 2200 ft long and 200 ft wide you are closer to 16 days for 6 ft average. If you tell me the exact dimensions and slope and the expected average temperature and wind while you fill I can estimate fill time ;) (assuming your ground is non porous, I have no idea how much water gets lost on first fill does anyone?

• Members
@AB if I blow it open @MS can lasso the chunks to the shoreline..........where's the sense of adventure? Or if I use enough the blocks of ice won't land in the lake......,of coarse there's always if they fly too far we may be remodeling our houses. On second thought we'll let Mother Nature run it's coarse. I will post a thickness update every 3-4 days if @horton will post a depth update.

• Baller
@dtm8119 hope that's true here, too. I don't ice fish but just a few weeks ago an ice fisherman told me he had to use an extension and that we had 42 inches out front. If it's down to 24'' now I'm pretty excited...that's a good melt in a week of warmer weather.

• Baller

@6balls I don't know the ice thickness up around McGregor but this past weekend we were just starting to lose snow on the lake. A few bare spots the rest was hard crusty snow.

Just be glad we had all this snow this winter or the ice would have been unreal thick with the cold temps.

2 years ago on the 22nd I was skiing with @MS in a wetsuit because some rain had dropped the water temp into the 60s! Never mind it was the only time I skied that year due to surgery.

• Administrators

the fill is SLOW. We are at about 38 inches today. The lake needs to be 96" deep - 8'

Here is the math as I see it

96" - 38" = Time* (the same time amount of time a 5 year old thinks it is until Christmas)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton so true......once that lake is full you will forget the pain of waiting. Once your baby arrives time will go by faster than ever. Should have had baby first, filling lake second...no then the lake would not have happened...your plan is better.

"Do Better..."

• Administrators

@klindy‌ no things are going as expected. I had a very optimistic projection of 3 weeks to fill. 6 weeks is more realistic.

Note we have the well most of the time but do share with two other lakes.

Drop a dime in the can

If I recall, we pumped about 8-900 gpm and filled the lake in just about 2-1/2 weeks. The lake in Michigan is 1800'x200' with most being 6-7' deep and a "hole" that was about 12' deep or so. On our initial fill it came within 3' of the top and we couldn't add another inch of water. Turned out the liner was leaking. We drained added about 12" of clay and refilled.

Takes time but worth the wait!

• Members
@Horton too bad we couldn't route our extra water to your lake, with the weekends melt were way over full. Now if the ice is gone were going to have to wait for the level to drop........can't win in MN