Any experience with 87 Malibu Skier?

19skier

• Baller
Looking at an older boat to use this summer - will be spending a lot of time away from home course n boat. Found a cheap 87 malibu skier that looks reasonably cared for. Anyone know of problem areas to check out? Think they had wood floors n stringers did they hold up ok? Looks like a small boat so guessing it would ski favorably 32/34mph -32/35 compared with our 02 19skier? Thanks for input.

• Baller

I had an 89 skier for a lot of years. Same boat I think. They did have wood floors and stringers. Mine held up ok. I had to remount the seat at one point.

Wake was ok at 34, I'm 15/22/28.

22 off was a bit stiff, 34 mph was better than 32 mph. Pretty typical of that vintage boats.

5.7 Merc always ran well. Kept it tuned up once a year. Went from about 125 hours to 1050.

Upgraded to a 99 Response about 3 years ago.

• Baller
Skiied with a 91 Euro f3 skier quite a bit and it was really a good boat. I think it's the same hull. Things I would check for are soft floors and soft stringers. Hard to know where the rot sets in but anywhere that stays damp is a good place to start. Anywhere a screw or bolt has entered the stringer or floor I would check for soft wood.

• Baller
Pretty "hard" wake in comparison to a slightly newer boat. Not a huge fan of Mastercraft, but a pro star 190 of the 1989 ish era would be composite stringers and floor and a bit better wake in my opinion. Depends on the budget and availability.

• Baller
I agree with@GOODEskier, I have owned an 86 skier and a 90 Prostar. I would be worried about the floor and all the seating, it is all wood construction and 20 years ago when I had mine it was already rotting so check then double check. Wake is also hard even with the Scarpa plate to adjust. The 90 prostar I owned 8 years ago was still solid as a rock when I had it and a much better wake. Probably has a slightly higher price point but worth it unless your are looking for a project boat which just equals more cash in to it. I did love my Malibu skier in the day, it was my first boat while in college in 89 and I'm still a Malibu fan today.

@19skier‌ let us know how you like skiing with the new boat. I have a 94 euro f3 and i'm content with the wake. I get complements from people I take skiing. Interested in your impressions. I find the secret to these boats is to run a max of 6 gallons. Very little wake at -28.