Starting skiing in Colorado (Camaro plug)

colo_skier

• Baller

@skier2788 Unfortunately I have to work today. We have to winterize and unwinterize the boat each time we use them since we don't have a heated garage either. We are pretty quick at it though. Oh BTW 2 sets have left us pretty sore. Not sure skiing today would be that fruitful. Still would be better than work.

@ral Agreed the drysuits are retired as far as I can tell. Nobody that hasn't tried these can believe drysuits are history once you have a Camaro. I have to thank @Chuck_dickey for introducing these to me.

• Baller
This is my second year on my 2mm Camaro Shorty that I used all winter, while my O'Neill Psycho 2 gathered dust. Even though our Water Temp here in Orlando only reaches 55 degrees, I was totally comfortable, while my ski partners all wore there thicker long suits.

• Baller

@Rup They really are that warm. They are nothing like other wetsuits in how they feel or work to me. They don't allow anything but a sweat layer of water between you and the suit. They also don't rely on water flow thorough the inside of the suit. It's odd but as I've said before if I hadn't tried it I would not have believed it.

@Marco I have the 2mm pre-Blactec and it was plenty "warm" enough. It really doesn't seem to work on the thickness of the skin for warmth. It's not anything like the neoprene bottoms of hybrid suits. BTW I may be out in Grand Junction the 3rd week of March. Are you skiing there yet?

• Baller
@colo_skier Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we don't get the water turned on until early April and it takes about 3 weeks to fill up the lake to skiing level. We usually start skiing the last weekend in April. Anytime after that, feel free to come out for a ski ride!

• Baller

A question for you guys. I would really like a long sleeve shorty or 3/4 leg suit. I see that Camaro has a 1mm Blacktec that fits that bill, but I would think the 2 mm would be better. The only thing I saw that in was the full length Blacktec.

I admit that I don't ski unless the water it a least 60 and the air at least the same, so the 1 mm may be fine. Has any of you used the 1 mm suit and how does it compare to the 2mm? Thanks.

• Baller
@mrjones that is a really good question! I get asked all the time, just not sure how many out there have an old Titanium 2mm shorty and a new Black Tec 1mm shorty to do a head to head comparison? If you are out there, sound off...People love both the 1mm new Black Tec shorty and the 2mm full suit, it makes sense that the full suit is warmer it covers more of your body.

• Baller

@jwroblew Water does seep in when you initially get in. However it is more of seepage rather than rush of water that my oniel's shorties are. From my experience there really is no comparing to other wet suit idea's. I picked mine up from @waterskigirl shop. It was kind of a try it and if it doesn't work for you we will work something out. I really believe that anybody who skis in a dry suit in water above 40 should probably try these. I have not had a chance to try it below 40 so cannot comment on that. BTW I am in no way affiliated with Camero but like Chuck and @Horton cannot praise this product enough. They are very fragile so keep your nails trimmed and be careful removing the suit.

@swardco and @skier2788 If you really need to get a set in let me know and I am sure we can do some water time.

• Baller
Mr. Jones, Hope the boat is good.. I was in a local dealer last week and they had an O'Neil long sleeve shorty my size in stock. I bought it have been wearing with the water above 60 or above. It is awesome for our climate. Trent wears a long sleeve shorty when it is real cold... (But he's 1/2 Canadian or something like that)

• Baller

Our boat is awesome! I am bad about "buyers remorse" in a lot of cases... but not this one. Loved it last fall and just fired it up for the first set of the year on Saturday. Told Lynda when I was pulling her we made a good choice.

I will ck out the O'Neil suit. I have a 20 year old Assault 3/4 suit that has held up great. Of course I only ski in it 5x per year max. It's just thick and short sleeve. I would use something more mobile and comfortable a lot more. (I hate skiing around Canadians and English skiers when it's cold. Always feel like a whuss for complaining)

• Baller

I'm with @MS, open to the idea but even right now we have nearly 4 ft of ice on the lakes. When it breaks we will be on the water but the water temp may be sub 40. I'm hard pressed to jump in there with a wet suit rather than a dry with layers. My ski skills after a winter off stink anyway so not worried about the extra bulk for a short period until it warms to wet suit temps.

It sounds like an awesome wet suit, but we move from dry suit no need for dry suit in a hurry and reverse in the fall. Tough to think about where that suit fits in for me in MN.

• Baller
I skied for the first time this year today with a baller index of -53. I wanted to try the Camaro but I couldn't resist my RipCurl ebomb 5/3. Hopefully I will get to try it next time.

• Baller

Just ordered 3 Camero's, one for me, wife, and daughter. Now we just need our water turned on.

How hard are these to get on and off? I never skied in anything skin tight before. Also, the sizing is a bit funny. At 5'-10, I'm supposed to be in a medium, but at 190#, I'm supposed to be in an XL. I opted for a Large. I hope it fits!

• Baller
Keep you nails short and away from the material. Always have someone zip you up. They are more fragile than other wet suits. Use the Velcro wraps from your dry suit around the legs to keep water from coming in there. Once your lake is full immerse yourself in water and ski a pass. Repeat 6 times and say " My dry suit is retired". Have fun @Marco these are a great investment into extending the season here in Colorado.

• Baller
I used my 2m BlackTec full last weekend for the first time. I echo the comments from previous users. These suits are awesome and I won't ever waste energy or money on a dry suit. @Marco - when the Camaro's are dry they almost have a silky feel on the inside allowing the feet/legs and hands/arms to slide easily. It's the easiest suit I've ever put on. My challenge was getting a snug Eagle vest over it and off when done. The material of the BlackTec and the material of the Eagle vest want to stick together - wet or dry. On sizing I'd recommend opting smaller if you are on the border of two sizes. They stretch and contour much easier than my 2mm O'Neil heater top. Snug fit is optimal for this suit.

• Baller
Second the snug fit for vests. My Eagle nearly always adheres in a twisted fashion so that I end up needing help to straighten it up to get it on. The Camaro vest is a little bit less suit sticky but still can be a pain. Thank goodness skiing requires a driver!!!

• Baller
A front zip vest like the Eagle Platinum vest solves the contortions of the pullover vests. I've got over 50 sets on my BlackTec full suit plus Eagle Platinum front zip vest combo this winter (SoCal) with no struggle at all. Both from Robbie's. I like the way the Eagle is able to find my Ryan Gosling 6-pack under the Pillsbury Doughboy exterior without requiring sit-ups.

• Baller
@baja, I also have the front zip Eagle platinum vest. However my issue is if the vest gets twisted while putting your second arm through it usually rides up so far on the arm that untwisting it becomes a Houdini in a straight jacket maneuver to fix as nothing slides apart. Glad to hear you haven't had this problem cos it sure is embarrassing to have someone help you put your vest on.

• Baller
Received my Camero Blactech yesterday just in time to replace our sub buoys (in waist deep water). I did have to bend down with the water up to my neck to reach the anchors. The water was around 40, but I was able to spend 2 hours in and out of the water to get the job done. I'm impressed with the warmth of a suit so thin. My toes and hands hurt like crazy, but the rest of my body was surprisingly comfortable. I can't wait for the lake to come up to try it out skiing!