To Bimini, or not to Bimini ? (And where to buy one?)

GaryWilkinson

• Baller

Been thinking about a Bimini,

- shielding from the melanoma inducing sun, and rain for those foolish enough to ski when it rains.

- generally warmer and more comfortable when driving.

Any downside ? Except the odd bang on the noggin and having to collapse it when covering every night?

And, where can I buy one for my 95 Nautique ? Sunbrella the best?

Thanks

• Baller

A bunch of my buddies and I have all gotten good, reasonably-priced biminis from what used to be GMI tops in Canada but I think are now anp.ca/?l=en-US. You'll have to take your own measurements (you can't just call up and say you need a top for your 95 Nautique) and remember that the width and height can be cut down but you can't add pipe so if anything, estimate high rather than low.

As far as go/no-go, it's a no-brainer for us. Absolutely required in our boats and IMO one of the handiest accessories a boat could have.

• Baller
I can't imagine anyone getting by without a bimini! Even in northern areas. NautiqueParts.com offers a nice sunbrella bimini specific to the year of the boat. With stainless hardware, it's $420. Most covers will fit over a bimini that's just folded back. We usually just unsnap the front straps, lay it back, and put the cover on.

• Baller

Wow @jhughes great site recommendation!

Just went there and ya, they are in canada eh!? In fact about 2 hours drive from my home.

Problem is my boat is in storage, shrink wrapped and surrounded by 3 ft of snow.

I may go to local dealer to see if they have a hull not in storage and accessible enough for me to do the measurements. Unless anyone out there has access to the same hull with a Bimini on it and can measure for me, I'll have to wait for the snow to melt far enough which this year should be about June!

Thanks for the guidance!

• Baller
I have been in tournament ski boats since 1978, and got a Bimini in 2011. I can't imagine what I was thinking by not getting one sooner, even in Northern Ohio. I guess I always liked being in the sun, but now after having a few skin issues, it can only help reduce exposure over time.

• Baller
In Southern BC, Canada. Always thought I was too far north to have one of these. Finally tried one...every boat I have owned since then I have had one. As we are out a lot mid day would not even consider going without it. The upholstery stays cooler, I'm less tired and more comfortable...it's a no brainer.

• Baller

My new-to-me boat came with a bimini, and I immediately stashed it in my basement for the next owner.

In a northern climate on a public lake, if the sun is directly overhead then the wallies are underfoot!

I'm almost never out in my ski boat at a time where I'd like to have a bimini. I see it as a pure liability: a pain to deal with during covering and uncovering, and something to smack into and cut myself on.

• Baller_
@Than_Bogan‌ I hear ya being from MN. As long as you have that wide brim hat and see a dermatologist yearly... But the amount of sun seen without one, and it does not have to be directly over head, is probably more then most think. I know the cooler weather seems to warrant no bimini but if you can find another way to protect from sun damage that's fine I guess. To me popping up the bimini is just easier.

• Baller

+/- depending on what's going on. The majority of my buoys are early a.m. and evening. If in the middle of the weekend day, though, we go spend the day on the lake on a buddies MC with tower and bimini...it's nice! If I were skiing/driving a lot of sets or at a big family or friends party...it's nice! Florida and the other warm states...a must.

Day to day summer life for me...it would sit in the garage 90% of the time here in southern Canada.

• Baller

I'm with @Than_Bogan‌. My personal boat has a bimini top but the only time I ever put it up was when I worked on the engine mid-day once. I'm usually using my boat early morning on the weekends before the yahoo's come out or after 5 PM on the weekdays. Love the open air if I can have it.

Mid-day skiing on a slalom course though where you're parked more than you're driving....I definitely appreciate the bimini top.

I never used to run a bimini. I thought they were "uncool" and against everything a boat was for. Boy how things change when you grow up, mature, and realize what's really important in life. I just turned 40 and my wife and I now have a 2-yr old daughter. Our '02 SN now doesn't hit the water without one. The sun is just too brutal down here in FL to be out all day without protection. And my daughter's health is more important than anything else. She loves being out in the boat more than anything in the world. My main concern now is making sure she continues to love it as much as my wife and I.

The bimini that came with our boat sat a little too high for my liking so I took it to a local upholsterer in town and talked with him about what I wanted. He chopped it down and got the fit just right, exactly what I was looking for. Now I still think its cool, and most important, it's functional.

• Baller
Can't believe anyone would want to spend a lot of time in a ski boat without a Bimini. Only problem is if you are open water skiing and want to do American pickups or around the worlds but for comfort of drivers and observers you can't beat them

• Baller
Got my first Bimini with a Promo boat I bought. I said that's nice and tossed it into the back of the pickup truck. Until I tried it on a hot sunny day (we do have those in Massachusetts) and never looked back. An absolute must. At tournaments if the promo shows up without one it doesn't get used.