Reflex w/ RTP

MZito

• Baller

I have been using a reflex w/ a radar RTP for 3 years and really like this set up. This past yr I had to battle a split big toe all season because I would hit the hardware or back of the binding when I kicked in. Reading other post, I know there are some very innovative engineering minds on here. Any suggestions other than moving the RTP back a bit? I have tried moving it and i felt very uncomfortable on the ski once I moved it...

Thx for the ideas!

• Baller
So it happens when you slip your back foot into the RTP? I've touched the release mechanism with my big toe a few times and I also have a Radar RTP but I just tighten up the laces and it's not a problem anymore. If you're sliding around in the RTP enough to cut your foot, it sounds like it's way too loose.

• Baller
I thought of your problem and came up with a simple solution. Use a piece of foam and attach it to the arms of your release mechanism with contact adhesive and or with tie wraps. You might have rust issues, but your toe will be saved. Personally I would tie up the laces and come out of the water with my foot inside the toe piece rather than kicking it in after standing up.

• Baller
I have the same problem, my toe was getting so beat up I went back to a rubber front boot, I spoke with Reflex at the European Seniors last year and he told me many others had complained about this and there is a modification for it, you can get a small plate that you fit under the release mechanism that lifts the bars up a little so that your big toe slides in underneath as there is now a little more room. I did mine with some stainless washers and it did the same thing. One other thing to check is the collar at the top of the bars, one of mine had drifted down a little and that was cutting the end of my toe. Hope this helps.

• Baller

@waternut I appreciate your reply; however, my radar RTP does not have laces, its just the plain rubber set up. Possibly may need to try a different style RTP.

@Phil Great news on the modification, I will consider doing this along with @skialex idea of wrapping the bar with of foam. We still have aver a foot of ice so I will have some time to work with my issue.

other ideas still welcome!!!

• Baller
@Phil‌ good idea! I use this 3mm plate under the release because I like that it lifts my heel a little. But it has to be a plate, you have to raise both the boot and the release at the same height. If you use washers you will increase the distance between the boot and the release when locked and this is dangerous. It is better to use the reflex lift plate or make one out of composite or aluminum sheet. If you make it your own you can experiment with different thicknesses, reflex's is 3mm thick which is prefer by most.

• Baller

This might seem low brow -

http://www.easierliving.com/_resources/images/product/26517_d.jpg

But it seems easier than dealing with all these mods...

You could also probably take something like a milk carton and make a U shaped shield that mounted under the Front of the RTP plate and just looped up behind the horseshoe (open on the sides) so that when you went forwards that would block you from the plate.