Mental side of competing

Chris Rossi

• Baller

@Jordan's question

"I am interested in the mental side of competing. So, my question is how do you take what you practice and what you are currently working on and put it into play in competition without over-thinking?"

Practice every set with the mental focus of a tournament. I have a warm up I like for tournaments so I do it before every practice set. The warm up allows me to get my body ready and calms my mind. It isn't always the most convenient as I would like to just go ski or I'm late, but I do not ski without going through my warm up. Then for every set, I have my same "3 keys" I discussed in "Rossi Answers Chapter 2.0 (Mindset)" to focus on. When I get to tournaments, I do my same warm up and I make it my challenge or goal for the tournament to do my "3 keys" to the best of my ability. I'm not focused on buoy count, I'm focused on my "3 keys". After the end of the tournament I take time to reflect how well I did in accomplishing my "3 keys" and how that related to my final score. Then I take that back to practice and go back to work.

Chris

• Baller

Thanks for that @chrisrossi‌

It seems that you are suggesting that the mental side of performance is something that you manage by including that dynamic in your practice routine.

awesome answer !